Vlookup and "-" negative numbers are giving me a #N/A

Old January 15th 06, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup and "-" negative numbers are giving me a #N/A

How do I deal with the negative numbers? If possible I would rather not
complicate my formula with an If statement.

Thanks again and again and again and again and again
Old January 15th 06, 12:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That probably means that it can't find it in the list. If the last portion
of the Lookup function is selected as "true" the list needs to be in
ascending order. If the number you are looking up is not greater than the
first number in the list, it will return #N/A. Give me a little more info on
the problem and I will try to help you through it!

WB

Old January 15th 06, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What's the last parameter of the VLOOKUP? If you're using TRUE or 1, then
your table might have to be sorted in ascending order, negetives to
positives. Or maybe your looking up values with decimal places that are not
showing.

HTH
JG

Old January 15th 06, 12:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My table is

CAPACITY
0 xxx
1000 phd2
2000 phd3
3000 phd4
4000 phd5
5000 phd6

B5 = 3233
=vlookup(B5, CAPACITY, 1)

And now I get nothing but "xxx"
Old January 15th 06, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the first column of that table is numeric (real numbers) and if b5 is numeric
(real numbers), then I get 3000 back from that formula.

If b5 contains the text '3233, then I get #n/a

Debra Dalgleish has some trouble shooting tips at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

ps. Did you want to return column 2:
=vlookup(B5, CAPACITY, 2)
(assuming that Capacity is a 2 column table.)

Old January 15th 06, 01:41 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I figured out that the column numbers are relitive to the table and not the
sheet. I also found that the result is the row before the next higher value.
ROW1 ROW2 ROW3
CAPACITY HOLDOWN
0 n.r.
1000 PHD1
2000 PHD2
3000 PHD3
4000 PHD4

=VLOOKUP(1500, CAPACITY, 3) RETURNS A BLANK
=VLOOKUP(1500, CAPACITY, 2) RETURNS n.r.

tHE NEGATIVE PROBLEM SEEMS TO HAVE GONE AWAY. Is the return value working
correctly? I am going to experiment with the true/false value. The problem
with this is anyone entering data will be confused by the table.

Old January 15th 06, 01:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Actually the negative problem still exists
Old January 15th 06, 02:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If I use

=VLOOKUP(B5,Capacity,2)

with 3233 in B5

I get phd4, not good?

Peo Sjoblom

Portland, Oregon

Old January 15th 06, 03:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Make sure that the first column in Capacity is a real number
select an empty cell
edit|copy
select that first column
edit|Paste special|check add.

Then try it again.

If that doesn't work, what is Capacity defined as--just share the address of
that table.

Old January 15th 06, 04:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No it shoud have been a phd5.