Greater than, smaller than formula

Old December 21st 05, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Greater than, smaller than formula

When grading children's test scores I want to apply letters and numerals
to particular ranges eg between 21 and 25=3c 26and 30=3b. Please help
with a formula.

--
alexander_geoff
alexander_geoff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29822

Old December 21st 05, 07:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

alexander_geoff Wrote:
> When grading children's test scores I want to apply letters and numerals
> to particular ranges eg between 21 and 25=3c 26and 30=3b. Please help
> with a formula.

You can do this ...

In Columns A and B, you can enter the following:

Cell A1 : 21 Cell B1: 3a
Cell A2 : 26 Cell B2: 3b
Cell A3: 31 Cell B3: 3c
Old December 21st 05, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

alexander_geoff wrote...
>When grading children's test scores I want to apply letters and numerals
>to particular ranges eg between 21 and 25=3c 26and 30=3b. Please help
>with a formula.

Use the LOOKUP or VLOOKUP formula and a table, perhaps the following in
A1:B10

0 7
6 6
11 5
16 4
21 3c
26 3b
31 3a
36 2
41 1
46 0

Then with a score in cell X99, the grade would be

=LOOKUP(X99,$A$1:$B$10)

or

=VLOOKUP(X99,$A$1:$B$10,2)

Old December 21st 05, 11:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

BenjieLop Wrote:
> You can do this ...
>
> In Columns A and B, you can enter the following:
>
> Cell A1 : 21 Cell B1: 3a
> Cell A2 : 26 Cell B2: 3b
> Cell A3: 31 Cell B3: 3c
> .
> .
> .
> Cell A100: 95 Cell B100: 3z
>
> NOTE: In Column A, the lower limit of the test score is what you will
> enter.
>
> And, in (say, Cell D1), you can enter this formula
>
> =VLOOKUP(C1,$A$1:$B$100,2)
>
> where Cell C1 will contain the child's test score.
>
> Hope this will help you.
>
> Regards.

Let's assume the children's names are in A1:A30. Their scores are in
B1:B30. Please give me precise instructions from here on.
Thanks in anticipation.

Old December 21st 05, 11:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Alexander

=LOOKUP(A1,{0,21,26,31,36},{"fail","3c","3b","3a", "star"})

Adjust to suit more ranges if desired.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Old December 22nd 05, 07:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

alexander_geoff Wrote:
> Let's assume the children's names are in A1:A30. Their scores are in
> B1:B30. Please give me precise instructions from here on.
> Thanks in anticipation.

With the children's names in A1:A30 and their corresponding test scores
in B1:B30,a no-frills solution is as follows:

1. *Construct a table * (say, use Columns G and H) and enter the
following:

Cell G1=21 and Cell H1=3c
Cell G2=26 and Cell H2=3b
Cell G3=31 and Cell H3=3a

2. In Cell C1, enter the following formula

=VLOOKUP(B1,$G$1:$H$3,2)

3. Copy this formula down until C30. To copy a formula all the way down
to C30, do the following:

*** point your mouse to the right bottom corner of Cell C1
*** as soon as you see a "black crosshair" (*+*), left click on the
mouse and drag it down to Cell C30
*** release the mouse as soon as you are in Cell C30

Hope this is what you are looking for.

Regards.

--
BenjieLop

BenjieLop's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=11019
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495258

Old December 22nd 05, 06:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Worked thanks

Old December 23rd 05, 12:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You are welcome. I am glad that I can be of help to you.

Regards and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Old December 29th 05, 04:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

i hv a question...

Is there any formula in excel that can convert a certain number to a a number
that is greater than the previous number, which is an integer number? for
example:

23.56 convert to 24
24.00 convert to 25
23.12 convert to 24
19.00 convert to 20
42.10 convert to 43

HELP ME!!!
Old December 29th 05, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It looks like you could just add one and take the integer portion:

=int(a1+1)

If A1 held the original number.