Add series to line graph

Old December 7th 05, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Add series to line graph

Is there any way to avoid the following:

When I add a series to a line graph which has an appropriate scale for the y
axis, the scale changes as soon as I click on 'Add Series'. The Values box
populates with ={1} which forces the minimum value on the y axis down to
zero. Even after I replace the ={1} with the data range for values, the scale
remains at the now inappropriate scale with too low of a minimum value,
forcing me to go and make adjustment values to the axis scale. I have lots
of graphing to do and find this irritating and time consuming.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Using Excel 97.
Old December 7th 05, 04:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Excel uses a particular algorithm for determining the minimum axis value. If
the absolute value of the difference between the minimum and maximum values
in the data is less than something like 1/6 of the maximum absolute value in
the data, then Excel will pick a non-zero minimum and maximum. Otherwise it
uses zero. You're not the only person who doesn't care for this algorithm.
The thing you might do is rescale the axis before adding data. All you would
need to do is double click the axis, click on the Scale tab, and uncheck the
boxes for min and max, which is easier than re-entering numbers. You still
may need to readjust after adding data, but only if the data strays outside
of these limits.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Old December 7th 05, 04:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

I guess I would mind the algorithm less if it the program did not populate
the "Values" field with ={1} when I click Add Series. It seems to calculate
a reasonable scale for the first series, it is only subsequent series that
mess it up due to the default value ={1}. Oh well...

Thanks for your suggestion. I will use it when I am adding data to charts
that have already been created, however, if I am plotting multiple series
during the chart's initial creation, I will still have to go in and manually
adjust the scale - unless I am doing this incorrectly...

Old December 7th 05, 06:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Barb -

Here's an alternate way to add data that doesn't require the intermediate
dummy value ={1}.

Select and copy the worksheet data for the new series, select the chart, and
use either Paste or Paste Special (which gives added control over the
process) to add the data to the chart as a new series.

- Jon
-------

Old December 8th 05, 05:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Thanks Jon, I prefer and have been using your first suggestion. With either
work-a-round I need to be adding data to an existing chart, as opposed to
creating multiple series when initially creating the chart. However, now
that I know the limitations, I can do this to avoid the frustration of
rescaling.

Thanks again