How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

Old December 5th 05, 05:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How can force enable macros to be able to open my workbook?

I would like to be able to force employees to enable macros for a certain
workbook or it will not let them open the workbook. And maybe put a password
on it so if i would like to modify the workbook without the macros enabled.
Old December 5th 05, 06:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

set up the workbook so that the only sheet showing is one with a message
which says "You must enable macros for this workbook to work." in a large
obvious font. Have the workbook password protected and all sheets
veryhidden.
In the workbook_Open event, hid that message-sheet & display the sheets
which you'd need to have visible.
So, if the user disables macros all they see is a sheet with a message on
it; If the open it with macros enabled, the Open event will kick in and make
the workbook work the way you want.
Bob Umlas
Excel MVP

Old December 5th 05, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Give them a helper workbook that opens the real workbook.

The helper workbook would have a macro that opens the real workbook. If macros
are disabled, then the helper workbook's code won't run--and the real workbook
won't be opened.

The helper workbook would have code that looks like:

Option Explicit
Sub auto_open()
Workbooks.Open Filename:=thisworkbook.path & "\book2.xls", _
Password:="hithere"
ThisWorkbook.Close savechanges:=False
End Sub

Remember to protect that project so that users can't snoop and find the password
to open.

(That said, that kind of protection is pretty weak and can be broken by any user
who is dedicated.)

Old December 5th 05, 06:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"kcdonaldson" > escribió en el mensaje
>I would like to be able to force employees to enable macros for a certain
> workbook or it will not let them open the workbook. And maybe put a
> password
> on it so if i would like to modify the workbook without the macros
> enabled.

Regards!

You can´t do it directly with Excel.
You need to configure book to hide useful sheets when closing, an unhidding
it when a correct password is typed when promt...

For example, when you close your book (in the beforeclose event) you can
hide your sheets with a set of lines like this one:

Worksheets("Usefulsheet").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden
Worksheets("NonUsefulSheet").Visible = xlSheetVisible

and in the Workbook_Open event something like:

Worksheets("Usefulsheet").Visible = xlSheetVisible
Worksheets("NonUsefulSheet").Visible = xlSheetVeryHidden

So, if user disables macros at startup, will only see a nonuseful sheet,
whit a sentence like: "you disabled macros when opening this book, close it
and able macros when promt..."

It's an easy but not 100% secure method...