When I sort how do I keep cell references correct?

Old December 2nd 05, 04:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default When I sort how do I keep cell references correct?

When I sort a table references to other cells are not maintained properly.

I've tried making them both relative & absolute & either way they no longer
point to the correct cell (which has moved) after the sort is completed.

These are all internal references (within the same table) but on a different
row.
Old December 3rd 05, 07:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select everything below your reference cells and be sure you select all
the columns including the column with with your formula - otherwise the
columns will no longer be in synch.

--
wjohnson
wjohnson's Profile: http://www.hightechtalks.com/m390

Old December 3rd 05, 01:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks but that doesn't help. I'm selecting all rows in the worksheet.
The cell references to an above or below cell are not maintained.
Old December 3rd 05, 04:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

GLS,

I've stumbled through this before, without a good solution.

Clumsy solutions which I've used and which you may try are to either
(a) re-write the formulas to use vlookup or sumif features, or (b) use
helper calculations on another worksheet. When you sort the main
worksheet, the references to the helper sheet remain correct.

--
rsenn
rsenn's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29050

Old February 6th 11, 08:46 PM
MargaretG MargaretG is offline
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS View Post
When I sort a table references to other cells are not maintained properly.

I've tried making them both relative & absolute & either way they no longer
point to the correct cell (which has moved) after the sort is completed.

These are all internal references (within the same table) but on a different
row.
I've solved it!!!! Nice and simply too.

What you do is you have two separate sheets (or even files) -- one for data entry and one for data sorts. So sheet 1 contains your data and formulae. You then on sheet 2 have the whole sheet pointing to the equivalent cell in sheet 1. You then enter data only in sheet 1 and when you want to sort it you only do it on sheet 2. Yippee.