Transfer data from one sheet to another

Old November 27th 05, 08:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Transfer data from one sheet to another

Did I stump you guys? This is a hard one!

Here is the senario:

Worksheet one has a cell with a drop down menu with the numbers 1-10 in it.
Below the drop down menu are two columns labled 'account number' and 'method'
each with many fields available for info below them.

Worksheet 2 is a database. It has many columns labled 'account number', '
method', 'date', 'cycle' etc. The cycle field is what contains the numbers
1-10 of the previous worksheet.

I need a way of making it so that when I choose 1-10 from the dropdown menu
on the first sheet, that it reads the 'cycle' list from the second sheet and
finds all that match and then transfers the 'account number' and 'method' of
the ones that match back to the first sheet and places them in the
appropriate columns. This is a hard one and any suggestions are so very much
appreciated.
--
Cody
Old November 28th 05, 02:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi!

>Did I stump you guys? This is a hard one!

Not really! (on both)

It's the way you want to return the data that makes it a PITA. In last
nights post you only wanted a single account number. So, I'm guessing you
want the "pulled" data table to look like this:

Act No.....Data1.....Data2.....Data3
11111......aaaaa......1a1b1.....xxxx
.................ababa......2ab2a.....zzzz
.................babbc......3b3a3.....yyyy

If you only had a few columns of data and wanted to extract it to a database
"style" table:

Act No.....Data1.....Data2.....Data3
11111......aaaaa......1a1b1.....xxxx
11111......ababa......2ab2a.....zzzz
11111......babbc......3b3a3.....yyyy

It's a piece of cake! (depending on how much data you have to "search" and
how much data needs to be extracted)

The other alternative is a pivot table.

Biff

news