How to set the "to value" in GOAL SEEK as a cell reference?

Old November 10th 05, 05:42 PM
phaidon

Default How to set the "to value" in GOAL SEEK as a cell reference?

I want that excel automatically seeks for the goal value. The simplest way
seems to me that instead of entering a value in the "to value", entering a
cell number in the "to value". However this is not possible. Any suggestions..
Old November 10th 05, 09:42 PM
DOR

Goal Seek doesn't seem to allow you to set the goal as a cell reference.
However, you can use Solver to achieve your objective. Create another cell,
say X1, with the formula =YourTargetCell-TargetValueCellReference, where
those references refer to the two cells you would have used in goal seek.
Leave this cell selected.

Click Tools/Solver and you will see that this new cell is selected as
Solver's target cell (if it isn't, then enter its reference in Target Cell).
Click the radio button for "Value of:" and enter a zero in the field beside
it.

Enter the cell reference of the cell(s) to be changed in the "By changing
cells" field and click Solve.

That should do it.