Return Numerical Label for LAST value Subtracted to reach Sum Target Value

Old October 28th 05, 10:01 PM
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Default Return Numerical Label for LAST value Subtracted to reach Sum Target Value

Hi All,

I am looking for a Formula that can process the following:

The Sum Target Value is variable e.g.; 147
I have two columns of numerical values: Column A and Column B.
Column A Houses the Numerical Labels that I wish to have Returned when the
Sum Target Value is processed /reached - Subtract Sum Target Value as noted
below.

To Subtract Sum Target Value:
Start from LAST non-zero numerical value in Column B and Subtract one Cell
value at a time (or Sum up the Column) until the Sum Target Value or nearest
possible Sum BELOW, the Sum Target Value is reached. In this instance, it is
147. I wish to Sum the values in Column B to 147 per the above. The
summed values can be below BUT NOT over the Sum Target Value.

Return the Numerical Value that is Offset ONE Cell to the LEFT (Column A)
and ONE Row Above LAST value Subtracted (in Column B) to reach Sum Target
Value. The Result Numerical Label should come from Column A.

Col A Col B
200 3
205 1
210 5
215 11
220 10
225 15
230 16
235 10
240 11
245 29
250 20
255 27
260 22
265 34
270 24
275 36
280 30
285 25
290 31
295 26
300 15
305 18
310 23
315 17
320 9
325 11
330 2
335 9
340 1
0 0

Reaching the Sum Target Value of 147 in Column B would go up to value 26,
Label 295 in Column A, totalling 131 which is below the Sum Target 147 but
including the value of 31 above it, would exceed the Sum Target Value of 147.
The required Result is returned from Column A Label 290 which is ONE Cell
to the LEFT (Column A) and ONE Row Above LAST value Subtracted (in Column
B).

Thanks
Sam

Old October 29th 05, 04:27 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 21:01:37 GMT, "Sam via OfficeKB.com" <u4102@uwe> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am looking for a Formula that can process the following:
>
>The Sum Target Value is variable e.g.; 147
>I have two columns of numerical values: Column A and Column B.
>Column A Houses the Numerical Labels that I wish to have Returned when the
>Sum Target Value is processed /reached - Subtract Sum Target Value as noted
>below.
>
>To Subtract Sum Target Value:
>Start from LAST non-zero numerical value in Column B and Subtract one Cell
>value at a time (or Sum up the Column) until the Sum Target Value or nearest
>possible Sum BELOW, the Sum Target Value is reached. In this instance, it is
>147. I wish to Sum the values in Column B to 147 per the above. The
>summed values can be below BUT NOT over the Sum Target Value.
>
>Return the Numerical Value that is Offset ONE Cell to the LEFT (Column A)
>and ONE Row Above LAST value Subtracted (in Column B) to reach Sum Target
>Value. The Result Numerical Label should come from Column A.
>

>Col A Col B
>200 3
>205 1
>210 5
>215 11
>220 10
>225 15
>230 16
>235 10
>240 11
>245 29
>250 20
>255 27
>260 22
>265 34
>270 24
>275 36
>280 30
>285 25
>290 31
>295 26
>300 15
>305 18
>310 23
>315 17
>320 9
>325 11
>330 2
>335 9
>340 1
>0 0
>
>Reaching the Sum Target Value of 147 in Column B would go up to value 26,
>Label 295 in Column A, totalling 131 which is below the Sum Target 147 but
>including the value of 31 above it, would exceed the Sum Target Value of 147.
>The required Result is returned from Column A Label 290 which is ONE Cell
>to the LEFT (Column A) and ONE Row Above LAST value Subtracted (in Column
>B).
>
>Thanks
>Sam

Here's one way that'll get you the correct answer. It involves adding a third
column:

C1: =SUM(B1:$B$30)

Then copy/drag down to C30.

The formula that will return the Label would then be:

=INDEX(A1:A30,MATCH(target_value,C1:C30,-1)+(COUNTIF(C1:C30,target_value)=0))

--ron
Old October 29th 05, 10:55 AM
Domenic

Try the following...

First, define dynamic ranges for Column A and Column B...

Insert > Name > Define

Name: NumLabels

Refers to:

=Sheet1!$A$1:INDEX(Sheet1!$A:$A,MATCH(9.9999999999 9999E+307,Sheet1!$A:$A)
)

Click Add

Name: Values

Refers to:

=Sheet1!$B$1:INDEX(Sheet1!$B:$B,MATCH(9.9999999999 9999E+307,Sheet1!$A:$A)
)

Click Ok

Then use the following array formula that needs to be confirmed with
CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER...

=INDEX(NumLabels,ROWS(Values)-MATCH(TRUE,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(Values,ROWS(Va
lues)-1,0,-SMALL(ROW(Values)-MIN(ROW(Values))+1,ROW(Values)-MIN(ROW(Value
s))+1)))>=C1,0)+1)

....where C1 contains your 'Sum Target Value'.

Hope this helps!

Old October 29th 05, 07:00 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 23:27:57 -0400, Ron Rosenfeld >
wrote:

> [...]
>>0 0
>>
>>Reaching the Sum Target Value of 147 in Column B would go up to value 26,
>>Label 295 in Column A, totalling 131 which is below the Sum Target 147 but
>>including the value of 31 above it, would exceed the Sum Target Value of 147.
>>The required Result is returned from Column A Label 290 which is ONE Cell
>>to the LEFT (Column A) and ONE Row Above LAST value Subtracted (in Column
>>B).
>>
>>Thanks
>>Sam

>Here's one way that'll get you the correct answer. It involves adding a third
>column:
>
>C1: =SUM(B1:$B$30)
>
>Then copy/drag down to C30.
>
>The formula that will return the Label would then be:
>
>=INDEX(A1:A30,MATCH(target_value,C1:C30,-1)+(COUNTIF(C1:C30,target_value)=0))

I misread your specifications. The correct formula would be:

=INDEX(A1:A30,MATCH(D1,C1:C30,-1))

--ron
Old October 29th 05, 07:06 PM
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Hi Ron,

Thank you. I really do appreciate you taking the time and effort to provide a
workable solution to my often not so clear scenarios.

Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>Here's one way that'll get you the correct answer. It involves adding a third column:

>C1: =SUM(B1:$B$30)
>Then copy/drag down to C30.
>The formula that will return the Label would then be:
>=INDEX(A1:A30,MATCH(target_value,C1:C30,-1)+(COUNTIF(C1:C30,target_value)=0))

>--ron

Your Formula gets me very close to my required Result. It provides the
Numeric Label of the Summed Target Value; however, the required Result is the
Numeric Label ONE Row above the Numeric Label of the Summed Target Value. I
would have subtracted the value of one (1) from the Result returned by the
Formula but unfortunately, in a few cases the Numeric Label above the Summed
Target Value could be zero (0). Is there anyway of adding to your existing
Formula to return the Numeric Label that is one Row above the Summed Target
Value, excluding any Numeric Labels of zero (0) and thus returning what would
be the next non-zero Numeric Label.

Apologies for my over simplified example.

Further assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Sam

Old October 29th 05, 07:42 PM
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Hi Domenic,

Thank you. Your time and assistance is very much appreciated.

Your Formula does provide exactly what I requested. Unfortunately, I over
simplified the example: in a few cases the Numeric Label above the Summed
Target Value could be zero (0). Is there anyway of adapting your existing
Formula to exclude any Numeric Labels of zero (0) and thus return what would

Old October 29th 05, 08:29 PM
Domenic

Hi Sam!

No problem, see if this is what you're looking for...

D1:

=ROWS(Values)-MATCH(TRUE,SUBTOTAL(9,OFFSET(Values,ROWS(Values)-1,0,-SMALL
(ROW(Values)-MIN(ROW(Values))+1,ROW(Values)-MIN(ROW(Values))+1)))>=C1,0)+
1

....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER

E1:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:INDEX(NumLabels,D1)>0),A1:INDEX(NumLabels,D1))

Note that I've assumed that your data doesn't contain negative numbers.

Hope this helps!

Old October 29th 05, 08:40 PM
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Hi Ron,

>Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
>I misread your specifications. The correct formula would be:

>=INDEX(A1:A30,MATCH(D1,C1:C30,-1))

Your Formula does now provide exactly what I requested. Unfortunately, I over
simplified the example: in a few cases the Numeric Label above the Summed
Target Value could be zero (0). Is there anyway of adapting your existing
Formula to exclude any Numeric Labels of zero (0) and thus return what would
be the next non-zero Numeric Label.

Apologies for my over simplified example.

Further assistance much appreciated.

Cheers,
Sam

Old October 29th 05, 09:08 PM
Sam via OfficeKB.com

Hi Domenic,

That's Great!

Cheers,
Sam

Old October 30th 05, 01:45 AM
Domenic

Hi Sam!

After looking at this again, I've come up with another formula to
replace the first one, which I believe is more efficient...

D1:

=ROWS(Values)-MATCH(TRUE,MMULT(--(LARGE(ROW(Values),ROW(Values)-MIN(ROW(V
alues))+1)<=TRANSPOSE(ROW(Values))),Values)>=C1,0) +1