Why does Excel open a blank book1.xls also?

Old October 24th 05, 05:29 PM
Denver

Default Why does Excel open a blank book1.xls also?

When I open a workbook by double clicking the workbook in a directory, Excel
opens a blank workbook named Book1.xls. How can I prevent this from
happening?
Old October 24th 05, 05:42 PM

If that workbook is really named book1.xls, look in your XLStart folder for
Book1.xls.

And check tools|options|General tab
There's a box that allows you to specify a folder:
"At startup, open all files in:"

Either delete the entry from that box or remove book1.xls from that folder.

ps. If you can't find book1.xls this way, maybe you could use
windows start button|search and look for book1.xls
to locate that file (and folder).

Old October 24th 05, 05:52 PM
Gord Dibben

Denver

Try the usual fix(es).

Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again.

If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel

Close Excel first and
On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.
See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.
In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

One more thing to try if any of the above brings no joy.........

Go to Start>Settings>Folder>Options>File Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit> select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced">Open>Edit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e (delete the <sp>/e if
you want Book1 to open.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP