Fitz

Default How To: Link worksheet data to pre-existing chart tables

I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick the
appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually input the
data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How do I link the
worksheets with the supporting data directly to the appropriate cells in the
excel tables that are used to generate the charts. I would like it so that
when new data is entered on the excel worksheets, the appropriate cell data
is transferred to the excel tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate
the chart stats. Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be
greatly appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest data
being presented on the charts.

Jon Peltier

Do the charts in Excel, copy them, and use paste special-link to put
them into PowerPoint. Update the chart data, and the charts
automatically update. Open the PowerPoint file, and the linked charts
also update.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Fitz wrote:
I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick the
appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually input the
data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How do I link the
worksheets with the supporting data directly to the appropriate cells in the
excel tables that are used to generate the charts. I would like it so that
when new data is entered on the excel worksheets, the appropriate cell data
is transferred to the excel tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate
the chart stats. Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be
greatly appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest data
being presented on the charts.

Jon Peltier

Of course, you said "pre-existing", so there's probably not enough time
to go back and do it the easy way. This Microsoft knowledge base article
shows how to update an embedded MS Graph data sheet from an Excel
worksheet. It might be just as much work to correlate each chart to the
corresponding Excel data source.

- Jon
-------

Fitz wrote:

I have a powerpoint presentation which has all the required excel data
charts in it already. Currently to update the charts I need to pick
the appropriate data out of seperate excel worksheets and manually
input the data to the appropriate charts that generate the charts. How
do I link the worksheets with the supporting data directly to the
appropriate cells in the excel tables that are used to generate the
charts. I would like it so that when new data is entered on the excel
worksheets, the appropriate cell data is transferred to the excel
tables in the powerpoint lecture that generate the chart stats.
Confused??? well so am I, so any advice or insight would be greatly
appreciated on how I go about automating this process so that when I
go to give the powerpoint lecture, I automatically have the latest
data being presented on the charts.

Fitz

When you paste an excel workbook into a powerpoint lecture, where does it
reside? so it can be used to update charts.