How to format a cell as email address

Old September 21st 05, 02:18 PM
Steve Freides

Default How to format a cell as email address

Someone sent me a spreadsheet with a column for email addresses. Only
some of the addresses are clickable links and I thought I'd do everyone
a service and fix the cells that aren't formatted properly and sent the
spreadsheet back out again. (It's a team list for one of my kids' sports
teams.)

But, when I go into format, I see lots of things like text, number,
currency, special - but no email. How does one do this?

I'm using Excel Office 2003, SP1, running on XP/Pro, SP2, with all the
latest updates to both.

Thanks in advance.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

Old September 21st 05, 03:54 PM
Casey

Steve Freides,

One way is to select the cell you want to place an active e-mail
address and go to Insert>Hyperlink in the dialog box select e-mail
address (lower left hand corner in Excel 2002) type in your email
address in the line provided.

Normally, when I type in a line of text in a cell that looks like an
email address Excel recognizes it as such and makes it a hyperlink. But
that may be an option setting that I'm unaware of and just happen to
have set correctly on my machine by luck.

HTH

--
Casey

Casey's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4545
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=469512

Old September 21st 05, 04:10 PM
bigwheel

e-mail addresses should be hyperlinks, so select the cell containing the
non-clickable text, then click on the Hyperlink tool. The Inser Hyperlink
dialog will appear so then click E-mail Address and fill in the details under
the e-mail address input space (harder to describe than actually doing it!!)

Old September 21st 05, 04:44 PM
Steve Freides

Thank you both.

-S-
http://www.kbnj.com

news

Old September 21st 05, 08:38 PM
Michael

Steve, you can also select the cell, press F2 and Enter and it will create
the hyperlink for you.
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin