Conditional format of minimum number

Old September 17th 05, 02:42 AM
MaggieMagill

Default Conditional format of minimum number

I have a column of numbers that are the results of a formula (common to
each row). What I would like to do is apply a format to the cell that
contains the minimum value in the column and to the max value as well.

I can use the MIN or MAX formula to place the value in a remote cell then
use the conditional format to match that value to what's in the column but
I'm thinking there's better mousetrap.

Shouldn't I be able to just apply the formatting to the cell directly?
Old September 17th 05, 03:24 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 01:42:11 GMT, MaggieMagill > wrote:

>I have a column of numbers that are the results of a formula (common to
>each row). What I would like to do is apply a format to the cell that
>contains the minimum value in the column and to the max value as well.
>
>I can use the MIN or MAX formula to place the value in a remote cell then
>use the conditional format to match that value to what's in the column but
>I'm thinking there's better mousetrap.
>
>Shouldn't I be able to just apply the formatting to the cell directly?

Select your range: e.g. G1:G23

Format/Conditional Formatting/Formula Is:

condition 1: =G1=MAX($G$1:$G$23)
format to taste
condition 2: =G1=MIN($G$1:$G$23)
format to taste

Note the use of relative and absolute references in the formula.

--ron
Old September 17th 05, 03:26 AM
Peo Sjoblom

Assume the values are in A2:A100, select from A2 as the active cell (type
A2:A100 in the name box and press enter or select A2 and hold down the mouse
button and select down to A100), do format>conditional formatting, select
formula is, in the formula box put

=MIN($A$2:$A$100)=A2

select the format you want, then add condition 2 and use

=MAX($A$2:$A$100)=A2

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

Old September 17th 05, 03:48 AM
bill k

highlight the range and under conditional formatting select
<cell value><is equal to>
and enter in the right hand block =Max($A$2:$A$51)
then set the format.....

similar for the minimum

--
bill k

bill k's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=821
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=468415

Old September 18th 05, 10:00 AM
MaggieMagill

bill k > wrote in
:

> highlight the range and under conditional formatting select
> <cell value><is equal to>
> and enter in the right hand block =Max($A$2:$A$51)
> then set the format.....
>
> similar for the minimum

Thank you all for the responses! Works perfect! I guess my biggest problem
was not using absolute references for the range.

But I'm curious - two different solutions were offered and both seem to
work for what I need. Why does one version (suggested twice) include the
relative reference to the first cell in the range?

Oh wait - I see one is "formula is" the other "cell value is". So what I
see is that the "formula is" version is basicaly
={cell value is}=Max(abs range).

So now my question is (in trying to understand the function better) if the
=MAX($A$2:$A$51) can be applied to each cell in the range for the
condition, is there any benefit in applying it as a formula that contains
that relative cell's value to compare with the function within the formula?

Am I correct in seeing the "formula is" version as an added wrapper or
redundancy of sorts?

Don't mind my question - I'm just trying to figure out the "formula logic"
Excel uses. It's an academic question as both provide the desired results!
Old September 25th 05, 10:05 PM
bill k

thanks for the feed back
excellent question.
I have been waiting for Ron or Peo to answer as both are experts in
excell. I'm merely an amateur learning by risking to offer the odd
answer and waiting for comments and or corrections.

Old September 25th 05, 11:36 PM
Roger Govier

Hi Maggie

In the cell value scenario, the formatting will only change if the condition
of that cell meets the criteria set.

In the Formula Is scenario, the same happens to be true (in your case)
because the criteria contains the cell name as part of the criteria set.
But equally you could set a cell to change format based upon the results of
criteria relating to an entirely different set of cells.

e.g. You might want the heading to become bold red if there are more than a
certain number of entries in the column.

Regards

Roger Govier