Cut and "insert cut cells" in Excel 2007 doesn't work.

Old April 16th 12, 01:01 PM
cici1810 cici1810 is offline
Junior Member

Unhappy Cut and "insert cut cells" in Excel 2007 doesn't work.

My excel 2007 on Windows 7 operating system on my "JOb computer" seems to have a probelm with regular cut function.
When I highlight cells I want to cut and press cut (either on keyboard shortcut Ctrl+x, Home menu cut command, or from the right-click menu) cells start flashing for a split second and after that they only turn normal as if cut was not active. When I want to paste them, they paste as if copy function was used. If I try to rightclick destination cell to use function "insert cut cells" it is not one of the offered options at all.

Does someone have similar problem or knows the solution?

On my home computer I have same combination, Excel 2007 on windows 7 and it works just fine. But my home OS is 32-bit Win7, and on job comp it is 64-bit version. Could this have caused the problem?
Old April 16th 12, 06:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_]

Default Cut and "insert cut cells" in Excel 2007 doesn't work.

cici1810 has brought this to us :
> My excel 2007 on Windows 7 operating system on my "JOb computer" seems
> to have a probelm with regular cut function.
> When I highlight cells I want to cut and press cut (either on keyboard
> shortcut Ctrl+x, Home menu cut command, or from the right-click menu)
> cells start flashing for a split second and after that they only turn
> normal as if cut was not active. When I want to paste them, they paste
> as if copy function was used. If I try to rightclick destination cell to
> use function "insert cut cells" it is not one of the offered options at
> all.
>
> Does someone have similar problem or knows the solution?
>
> On my home computer I have same combination, Excel 2007 on windows 7 and
> it works just fine. But my home OS is 32-bit Win7, and on job comp it is
> 64-bit version. Could this have caused the problem?

You only get the "Insert cut cells" menu choice when you select entire
rows or cols. Otherwise, you're just moving data in cells from one
location to another. Note that Excel uses CutCopyMode for this
operation and so the only option you get is to "Paste" into the
selected target cell[s].

If you want to actually delete/insert cells that cause a shift in the
adjacent cells you need to do so before transferring your data.

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Old April 16th 12, 06:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben[_2_]

Garry

I don't know the solution to OP's problem but I don't experience what
you state may be the problem.

My Excel 2007 has an "Insert Cut(or Copied)Cells" with the "shift"
options when cutting/copying any range, not just entire rows or
columns.

Gord

Old April 16th 12, 08:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_]

Gord Dibben explained on 4/16/2012 :
> Garry
>
> I don't know the solution to OP's problem but I don't experience what
> you state may be the problem.
>
> My Excel 2007 has an "Insert Cut(or Copied)Cells" with the "shift"
> options when cutting/copying any range, not just entire rows or
> columns.
>

> Gord

Weel you're absolutely right, Gord! I've never tried this but I see now
that it works just as you say it does. Thanks for setting me straight
on this.., I just love it when I learn something new!<g>

Old April 16th 12, 11:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_]

Just to clarify...

I usually use Insert>Shift at the target location and drag-n-drop the
data. (I probably do this to avoid CutCopyMode and/or putting stuff on
the Clipboard so that pesky TaskPane doesn't display in XL11!<g>)

Thus, I only use Cut for moving cols/rows around.

Old April 16th 12, 11:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben[_2_]

Thanks.

I set my pesky XL11 TaskPane disabled so I never see it.

Gord

Old April 17th 12, 01:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_]

Gord Dibben used his keyboard to write :
> Thanks.
>
> I set my pesky XL11 TaskPane disabled so I never see it.
>

> Gord
>

> On Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:29:34 -0400, GS > wrote:
>
>> Just to clarify...
>>
>> I usually use Insert>Shift at the target location and drag-n-drop the
>> data. (I probably do this to avoid CutCopyMode and/or putting stuff on
>> the Clipboard so that pesky TaskPane doesn't display in XL11!<g>)
>>
>> Thus, I only use Cut for moving cols/rows around.

Yeah, that's an option I never thought of but since I'm used to using
Insert>Shift I'll just carry on with that practice. Not really sure why
I never tried doing it via Cut>InsertCutCells>Shift other than avoiding
the clipboard, but it's a habit I got into that I don't mind
persisting.<g>

Old April 17th 12, 09:59 AM
cici1810 cici1810 is offline
Junior Member

Thanx guys.
I ve tried to use Insert and shift and it just doesn't offer insetrting new cells but pastes over existing ones.

So it is not the problem that I don't know to use this function, the problem is it doesn't work as it used to work, and still works on my other computer.

And another problem is when I copy table from excel to word, it returns only unformatted text when pasting it in word document. Or when I try to copy table from one to another window in e-learning interface, it also doesn't paste as table, but as unformatted series of plain text.

Something is way to wrong with my system functioning and it is preventing me of getting things done.
Old April 17th 12, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
GS[_2_]

cici1810 presented the following explanation :
> Thanx guys.
> I ve tried to use Insert and shift and it just doesn't offer insetrting
> new cells but pastes over existing ones.
>
> So it is not the problem that I don't know to use this function, the
> problem is it doesn't work as it used to work, and still works on my
> other computer.
>
> And another problem is when I copy table from excel to word, it returns
> only unformatted text when pasting it in word document. Or when I try to
> copy table from one to another window in e-learning interface, it also
> doesn't paste as table, but as unformatted series of plain text.
>
> Something is way to wrong with my system functioning and it is
> preventing me of getting things done.

Sounds to me like your MS Office install went badly and so I suggest
doing either 'Repair' from Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs -OR-
re-installing.

Old April 17th 12, 05:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben[_2_]

This can be caused by the Skype Click to Call add-on (version
5.1.0.9560) that is installed into your browser when you install
Skype. Version 5.1.0.9560 has been known to cause the following
issues:

You use Copy in Excel, Word or PowerPoint and it only pastes Text.
Formatting is lost.
You use Cut in Word or PowerPoint and it only pastes Text. Formatting
is lost.
You use Cut in Excel and it performs a Copy and Paste as Text. The
original information remains and the pasted information loses
formatting and formulas.
When you use the right click menu to Paste, the Paste options are
limited to Text.
When you attempt to copy formulas in Excel, Excel only pastes the
values.
When you attempt to click on the Format Painter button in the Ribbon,
it does not work.
When you attempt to drag and drop cells within Excel, an error message
displays "The Clipboard cannot be emptied. Another program might be
using the Clipboard."

Skype has released a new version of the Click to Call add-on that
resolves this issue. You can download the newest version by clicking
on the following link and then*clicking the Download Now button:
Skype Click to Call

For more information, please visit the following KB article:
KB2697462 - Clipboard functionality no longer allows ability to paste
formatting in Office

Gord

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:59:58 +0000, cici1810