Userform problem with "Run Time Error 75"

Old January 6th 10, 06:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

Default Userform problem with "Run Time Error 75"

Hi Robert,

I started having similar problems quite recently (Run Time Error
75" ("Could Not Find The Specified Object"), seems to happen
sporadically when vba is trying to reference a form - doesn't seem to
limited to one particular form. I have a vague (very) notion that
there is an "orphaned" form object, caused by halting the code during
development. Also, whenever this happens, Excel will crash if I try
to save the application. This has been happening with increasing
frequency, and is quite frustrating. I'm running Winsows XP SP3 and
XL2007.

I'm just wondering if you've found the cause/solution to this yet.

regards,

Dave

Old January 7th 10, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robert Crandal

Hello Dave!

You will be pleased to know that I HAVE discovered my own
solution to this annoying problem and here it is:

Only "load" your userform just ONCE and NEVER "unload" it!
If someone tries to close your form, rather than unloading the
form, just hide it instead. If someone tries to display your
form again, simply unhide it!

My point is, only "load" the form once, so that your form's
"initialize" function only gets called once. From that point,
simply write code that will hide or unhide the form itself,
but dont "unload" the form data structure from memory.

Let me know if you need code examples for this. I have
tested this thoroughly and I never see the RTE 75 error
any more!

As to what causes this problem, I am not entirely sure.
Are you using modeless forms when it crashes??

Robert

Old January 7th 10, 07:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

Hi Robert,

Thanks for the reply.

> Only "load" your userform just ONCE and NEVER "unload" it!
> If someone tries to close your form, rather than unloading the
> form, just hide it instead. If someone tries to display your
> form again, simply unhide it!

My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

> As to what causes this problem, I am not entirely sure.
> Are you using modeless forms when it crashes??

Interesting - as a matter of fact, the last few days I have been using
a modeless form (as a progress indicator), and that's when I have
noticed an increase in the failures. I'll certainly peruse that quite
carefully. Also, I noticed that once I get the "Run Time Error 75"
message, and I click OK, and then do nothing, after a few minutes
Excel will display the dreaded "Excel has to close .." error message.

Thanks for your insight on this, Robert, I'll let you know how this
works out for me.

regards,

Dave
Old January 7th 10, 08:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robert Crandal

> My usual practise is to display the form, retrieve the form data, then
> unload the form - the procedure then carries on with the retrieved
> data. In my case, the "x" box is locked out from the user, and
> closing, opening and pretty much all else is under vba control. The
> application I'm working on is very large, and has a large number of
> forms (approx 30). I'll review all these to make sure that there
> isn't a "slip up" somewhere.

I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
userform. I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
the form as modeless. I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

So, now I'm positive that this error is not due to an error in my code
at all, but rather an Excel or operating system specific error!

Just be careful if you have a modeless form that can be loaded and unloaded
constantly. I'm guessing that the form gets lost in memory somewhere once
the unload happens....hence my solution to NEVER unload a form and
resort to hide and unhide tactics.

Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
matter. Thank you Dave!

Robert C.

Old January 8th 10, 06:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

Hi Robert,

> I did my tests on a new and empty project that only contains one
> userform. *I also put one pushbutton on Sheet1 which loads
> the form as modeless. *I then tried opening and closing the form a couple
> times, then I noticed that Run Time Error 75 kept occurrring....

Would you mind showing me exactly how you're doing this? I set this
up, and try as I might, could not get it to fail!

> Please do keep me informed if you discover anything new regarding this
> matter. *Thank you Dave!

I certainly will.

regards,

Dave
Old January 9th 10, 11:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robert Crandal

Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
and I will post it here ASAP.

However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
Error 75 any more. I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
and try to load it again.

Are you still seeing the error??

Hi Robert,

Old January 9th 10, 08:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

Hi Robert,

> Sure, I will look for my basic example that creates the error
> and I will post it here ASAP.

Looking forward to it.

> However, I know for sure that if I load my modeless userform
> just ONCE and never unload it, that I never see the Run Time
> Error 75 any more. * I still haven't pinpointed the exact problem,
> but I now it happens randomly whenver I unload my userform
> and try to load it again.
>
> Are you still seeing the error??

Yes, it's still happening, sporadically, but I can't seem to generate
it at will. I've also something else when I get that error. Let's
say I have forms A, B, C, D, E in the vba object list. Assume that I
get the error while trying to access form C. Now I find I can open
any form above that (A to B in this case), but nothing from C on down
(C to D). I'm getting out of my depth here, but it seems that the
form object list has somehow been severed at that point.

I'm hoping your example will allow me to re-create this anytime.

regards,

Dave
Old January 9th 10, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

> Yes, it's still happening, sporadically, but I can't seem to generate
> it at will. *I've also something else when I get that error. *Let's
> say I have forms A, B, C, D, E in the vba object list. Assume that I
> get the error while trying to access form C. *Now I find I can open
> any form above that (A to B in this case), but nothing from C on down
> (C to D). *

Sorry, typo in my last message, above line shoud be:

Now I find I can open any form above that (A to B in this case), but
nothing from C on down
(C to E).
Old January 10th 10, 09:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Robert Crandal

"Dave Unger" > wrote in message

> I'm hoping your example will allow me to re-create this anytime.

Operating System: Window XP, Service Pack 3 (upgraded recently from SP 2)
Software used: Excel 2007

Steps to follow:

1) Create a new/blank-workbook project.

2) Insert new "userform" object into your project.
(Leave the form empty, with no controls!)

3) Insert a "pushbutton" (form control) on top of Sheet1.

4) Assign new macro for "Button1", which by default
links with the "Button1_Click()" subroutine.

5) In your "Button1_Click()" subroutine, enter the following
code: UserForm1.Show vbModeless

6) Go to Sheet1 and press "Button 1".... this will display your
userform in modeless form.

7) Close the userform by pressing the "X" button.

8) On Sheet1, type random data into any 3 or more cells. Go to
Sheet2 and Sheet3 and do the same. Just enter random data
into all sheets, then switch back to Sheet1.

9) Now leave your PC alone for 3 or more minutes. My screensaver
starts after 3 minutes.

10) Come back to your PC and try to load the userform again by
pressing "Button 1". It is at this point where you should see
any of the following errors: "Path/File access error" or
"Cannot find specified object". If you don't see an error message
right away, keep repeating steps 7 to 10 above until you see the
error message.

Many people here have suggested that possibly there was an error in my
code, but as you can see above I have created a completely empty project
that contains only ONE userform, ONE pushbutton, and ONE line of
code, yet I am still seeing an error message. This must be an Excel
or operating system specific bug, don't you think???

Anyways, the only workaround that I found was to avoid "unloading"
the modeless userform; if a user tries to close the form by pressing "X",
I simply hide the form instead of unloading it. (I then unhide or show it
again if necessary!)

Perhaps I am missing an upgrade or patch for Excel 2007??? If I finally
solve this mystery I will surely let you know Dave! Please run the above
steps and tell me if you see the same error. Also let me know if you
figure out how to fix this. Thank you!

Robert C.

Old January 14th 10, 06:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Dave Unger

Hi Robert,

Thanks for this. I set up your scenario and sure enough, I get that
error message too.

Additionally, if I close this workbook before I get the message, then
open another application in the same instance of Excel, the new
application will also generate the error message. I haven't been able
to track anything down yet, sometimes I'll get the message after a
couple of minutes, other times it'll be Ok for 15 - 20 minutes.

I'll let you know if anything else develops.

regards,

Dave

PS - I am surprised that no one else has reported having this problem.