How do you change the right margin of a header in Excel?

Old January 19th 05, 10:19 PM
ncford

Default How do you change the right margin of a header in Excel?

Is there any way to change the right margin in Excel, or is it going to
default no matter what?
Old January 19th 05, 10:41 PM
Gary Rowe

Modify a spreadsheet to set the margins the way you want (and any other
setting) and save it as book.xlt in C:\Documents and
Settings\username\Application\Data\Microsoft\Excel \XLSTART.

Old January 19th 05, 10:46 PM
Gord Dibben

The margins of left and right headers cannot be changed.

The only way to move them is to pad with spaces.

i.e. enter your right header as custom then add several spaces to move it
left.

You cannot move it more to the right.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Old January 20th 05, 12:51 AM
ncford

Thanks for your help. However, I can't get it to move more to the left by
spacing extra either.

Old January 20th 05, 01:19 AM
Gord Dibben

Try this....

In the Custom Header rightside dialog box enter the date by clicking on the
Date icon. Or text or whatever you want.

Now lean on the spacebar for a while. You won't see the spaces being entered.

Check Print Preview.

Date should be moved over to the left by the number of spaces you entered.

Gord

Old January 20th 05, 03:17 AM
ncford

Sorry, I never could get it to work. I have XP, and maybe it is different in
2003, but mine never moved at all. It told me that I couldn't have more than
255 characters in the header, I took a few out, but then when I print
previewed it, it was still at the right. I appreciate your help. Really you
have just helped me prove what I needed to....that it can't be easily done.
Thank you.