How do I transfer data from Notepad to Excel?

Old January 18th 05, 08:39 PM
erika

Default How do I transfer data from Notepad to Excel?

I transferred a file from a database that will only save reports in Notepad.
I then, cut and paste the data into Excel. However all of the info is merged
into one cell. How can I format this data, so that it will be a simple
worksheet with more than one cell? i.e. Name, SSN, Home address should all be
in different cells
Old January 18th 05, 08:55 PM
Gord Dibben

Erika

After the fact you could use the Data>Text to Columns feature to parse the
data.

OR....

Don't cut and paste from the Notepad.txt file.

In Excel go to File>Open. Select the Notepad.txt file and OK.

The Excel Text Import Wizard will open and you parse the data there.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

Old January 18th 05, 08:57 PM
Spiff

Erika,

Have you tried importing the file through the Data | Import External Data |
Import Data... function? This function will allow you to import the data and
separate the fields into different cells.

Henry Falk