Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

Old August 12th 05, 12:12 PM
Teacher

Default Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the
test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest
test grade. This may be a different test for each student.
Old August 12th 05, 12:59 PM
StinkeyPete

Try this:

=(SUM(B2:F2)-(MIN(B2:F2)))/(COUNT(B2:F2)-1)

This will drop the lowest grade and give you the average grade after the
lowest grade is dropped. This assumes that you have five grades entered in
columns B through F.

Hope this helps.

Old August 12th 05, 01:35 PM
Domenic

Assuming that B2:F2 contains the test grades (5 for this example),
here's another way...

=AVERAGE(LARGE(B2:F2,{1,2,3,4}))

Hope this helps!

Old August 17th 05, 11:38 AM
Teacher

Thanks so much, Domenic and Pete! I'll try those!!!