retrieve cell formatting with IF(HLOOKUP) formula

Old July 29th 05, 06:11 PM
useR

Default retrieve cell formatting with IF(HLOOKUP) formula

How can I modify the following formula to also retrieve cell formatting from
the HLOOKUP range?
=IF(HLOOKUP(F$27,'Manual Input'!$108:$156,10,FALSE)<>0,HLOOKUP(F$27,'Manual
Input'!$108:$156,10,FALSE),NA())

I use this statement in a table ('Report'!$E28:$Q75) to fetch data from
another range in the workbook ('Manual Input'!$108:$156). Thus, the range in
the Report table reflects the same data as the Manual Input range. I then
add some formatting to the Report table (font color, cell color) based on
pertinent criteria. However, the desired formatting already exists in the
Manual Input range, so I would like to be able to retrieve the cell
formatting along with the data, by modifying the existing formula. Can you
help me do this? If not, is there another practical way to accomplish the
same result?

I'm using MS Office Excel 2003 with MS Windows XP Professional 2002.

Thanks!
Old July 30th 05, 12:05 AM
Biff

Hi!

A formula can't return formatting from another cell. It can only return a
value or the value from another location.

Look in help for Conditional Formatting.

Biff

Old August 3rd 05, 06:55 PM
useR

Hi, can you help me further?

Trying to utilize Conditional Formatting functionality to accomplish this
task. I named the Manual Input range "T3AR_MI", then attempted
Edit>GoTo>Special>Conditional Formats, but no success. This range already
has conditional formatting that achieves the following result:
IF cell value is </= 4.004, THEN fill cell color green.
IF cell value is between 4.005 AND 4.099, THEN fill cell color yellow.
IF cell value is >/= 5.0, THEN fill cell color red.
IF value in cell one column Left same row is >/= 4.005, AND cell value is
>/= 4.005, THEN fill cell color red.

What I want to do is "mirror" that conditional formatting result into the
Report range. The data in this range is already mirrored from the Manual
Input range, using the IF HLOOKUP formula indicated in the original message
of this thread.

Thanks!