Sum - show negative number?

Old July 21st 05, 11:09 PM
Steve

Default Sum - show negative number?

If I highlight several numbers in a column, Excel will indicate the
sum. But it always shows that sum as a positive number, even if it's
actually negative. Is there any way to change this behavior?
Old July 22nd 05, 12:16 AM
Govind

Are you talking about the sum in the status bar. It does display the sum
as negative number as well.

Govind

Old July 22nd 05, 12:29 AM
Steve

Govind > wrote:
>> If I highlight several numbers in a column, Excel will indicate the
>> sum. But it always shows that sum as a positive number, even if it's
>> actually negative. Is there any way to change this behavior?

>Are you talking about the sum in the status bar. It does display the sum
>as negative number as well.

Yep, the status bar. As an example, entered -600 in one cell and +500
in the next. The status bar says Sum=100.

Just played around with this a bit - apparently Excel does not
recognize numbers in red as negative, unless they're also in
parentheses - in spite of the fact that cell formatting provides the
option of unadorned red numbers to indicate negatives. This must be
some sorta bug?

Old July 22nd 05, 12:40 AM
Bob Phillips

Excel does not per se recognise any format as negative numbers, it
recognises negative numbers by the fact that they are less than 0, either
entered as less than zero, or as a result of a calculation. Red, and/or
parentheses are just a way of showing a number in the visual presentation of
that cell. You could just as easily format positive numbers with parentheses
as you could negative numbers.

--

HTH

RP

Old July 22nd 05, 01:17 AM
Ken Wright

Not really, if you have your values showing as red with no negative sign
that is a conscious choice you have made when selecting the formats for
those cells and Excel respects it. Why would you then expect Excel to put a
negative sign in when using the status bar. If you make your format such
that it has a negative sign as well as being red then Excel will provide a
negative sign in the status bar. Your problem stems from the fact that the
status bar does not have the facility to show a red font.

--
Regards
Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03

Old July 22nd 05, 01:42 AM
Steve

"Bob Phillips" > wrote:

>> >Are you talking about the sum in the status bar. It does display the sum
>> >as negative number as well.

>> Yep, the status bar. As an example, entered -600 in one cell and +500
>> in the next. The status bar says Sum=100.

>> Just played around with this a bit - apparently Excel does not
>> recognize numbers in red as negative, unless they're also in
>> parentheses - in spite of the fact that cell formatting provides the
>> option of unadorned red numbers to indicate negatives. This must be
>> some sorta bug?

>Excel does not per se recognise any format as negative numbers, it
>recognises negative numbers by the fact that they are less than 0, either
>entered as less than zero, or as a result of a calculation. Red, and/or
>parentheses are just a way of showing a number in the visual presentation of
>that cell.

That makes perfect sense - so it must mean that Excel is not capable
of showing the color red in the status line? And therefore, without
formatting the cell to include the minus sign or parentheses, there's
no way to tell whether the Sum is positive or negative?

Old July 22nd 05, 01:45 AM
Steve

"Ken Wright" > wrote:
>Not really, if you have your values showing as red with no negative sign
>that is a conscious choice you have made when selecting the formats for
>those cells and Excel respects it. Why would you then expect Excel to put a
>negative sign in when using the status bar. If you make your format such
>that it has a negative sign as well as being red then Excel will provide a
>negative sign in the status bar. Your problem stems from the fact that the
>status bar does not have the facility to show a red font.

Ok, thanks, that explains it (posted my last message before I saw this
explanation). Of course, it would be nice if there was some kinda
warning or explanation when choosing that cell format option. And
even better if the status bar was capable of showing the color red.

Old July 22nd 05, 01:51 AM
Steve

Steve > wrote:
>"Ken Wright" > wrote:
>>Not really, if you have your values showing as red with no negative sign
>>that is a conscious choice you have made when selecting the formats for
>>those cells and Excel respects it. Why would you then expect Excel to put a
>>negative sign in when using the status bar. If you make your format such
>>that it has a negative sign as well as being red then Excel will provide a
>>negative sign in the status bar. Your problem stems from the fact that the
>>status bar does not have the facility to show a red font.

>Ok, thanks, that explains it (posted my last message before I saw this
>explanation). Of course, it would be nice if there was some kinda
>warning or explanation when choosing that cell format option. And
>even better if the status bar was capable of showing the color red.

One reason I like to use plain red is that it makes the numbers easier
to read, without the parentheses. A second-best option would be red
with a negative sign. But that doesn't appear to be possible...

Old July 22nd 05, 02:19 AM
RagDyer

You can create a custom format to show almost *anything* you want.

Custom format for red and minus sign:

#,##0.00;[Red]-#,##0.00

And of course, you could add the parenthesis also:

#,##0.00_);[Red](-#,##0.00)
--
HTH,

RD

Old July 22nd 05, 05:39 AM
Steve

"RagDyer" > wrote:
>> >Ok, thanks, that explains it (posted my last message before I saw this
>> >explanation). Of course, it would be nice if there was some kinda
>> >warning or explanation when choosing that cell format option. And
>> >even better if the status bar was capable of showing the color red.

>> One reason I like to use plain red is that it makes the numbers easier
>> to read, without the parentheses. A second-best option would be red
>> with a negative sign. But that doesn't appear to be possible...

>You can create a custom format to show almost *anything* you want.
>Custom format for red and minus sign:
>#,##0.00;[Red]-#,##0.00
>And of course, you could add the parenthesis also:

Thanks, I'll give those a try. What I'd really like to be able to
customize is the status bar, to show the color red or use the minus
sign even though I haven't used it in the cells...