Show Dollars in Millions

Old July 15th 05, 03:56 PM
morrowjr

Default Show Dollars in Millions

Is there a formula in Excel that changes a calculated dollar figure so that
it just shows in the 000,000's? For example, I have a calculated figure of
$15,806,375,100. However, in my chart, I just want to show $15,806. I there
a way for Excel to do this so that I don't have to type all my figures
manually? Thanks!
Old July 15th 05, 04:04 PM
Anne Troy

Right-click the chart, and hit Chart Options. Go to the Scale tab, and
choose Show in Millions.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

Old July 15th 05, 04:04 PM
Gordon

"morrowjr" > wrote in message
> Is there a formula in Excel that changes a calculated dollar figure so

that
> it just shows in the 000,000's? For example, I have a calculated figure

of
> $15,806,375,100. However, in my chart, I just want to show $15,806. I

there
> a way for Excel to do this so that I don't have to type all my figures
> manually? Thanks!

Set up a custom format of "###," (without the quotes, and the comma is
important!) That will show your example as 15806. Can't help with the
separator though! (This will round any figure up or down).

HTH

Old July 15th 05, 04:09 PM
Gordon

"Gordon" > wrote in message
> "morrowjr" > wrote in message
> > Is there a formula in Excel that changes a calculated dollar figure so

> that
> > it just shows in the 000,000's? For example, I have a calculated figure

> of
> > $15,806,375,100. However, in my chart, I just want to show $15,806. I

> there
> > a way for Excel to do this so that I don't have to type all my figures
> > manually? Thanks!

> Set up a custom format of "###," (without the quotes, and the comma is
> important!) That will show your example as 15806. Can't help with the
> separator though! (This will round any figure up or down).
>
> HTH

Doh! Didn't see the "chart" bit......

Old July 15th 05, 04:10 PM
Duke Carey

If it's calculated, you can amend the formula to divide by 1 million.

Alternatively, you can format the cell and the chart's scale to DISPLAY the
# rounded to millions. You just need a custom number format

If you are using Currency [0] now, simply select the cell with the value,
use Format|Cells|Number and select Custom from the left hand panel and then,
in the right hand panel you should see a string that looks like this

_($* #,##0_);_($* (#,##0);_($* "-"_);_(@_)

Change it to the following by adding 2 commas after each zero

Then click on OK. You'll also have to apply that format to the axis and/or
to the value

Old July 15th 05, 04:38 PM
morrowjr

Thank you!!!