A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

ctrl+shift+enter vs enter



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 27th 05, 03:57 PM
tkaplan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default ctrl+shift+enter vs enter


what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?


--
tkaplan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550

Ads
  #2  
Old May 27th 05, 04:14 PM
Naz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The difference is that for a normal formula you use Enter,
However there is a special kind of formula called an Array formula which can
only be entered using Ctrl+****+Enter. When doing so it will enter special
curly brackets to indicate it is an Array formula


--

_______________________
Naz,
London


"tkaplan" wrote:

>
> what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?
>
>
> --
> tkaplan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550
>
>

  #3  
Old May 27th 05, 04:14 PM
papou
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hello
If you mean the different ways of validating formulas, then ctrl+shift+enter
will validate an array formula.
HTH
Cordially
Pascal

"tkaplan" > a écrit
dans le message de news:
...
>
> what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?
>
>
> --
> tkaplan
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> tkaplan's Profile:
>
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550
>



  #4  
Old May 27th 05, 04:16 PM
Ron de Bruin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

For the OP

See
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm




--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl



"Naz" > wrote in message ...
> The difference is that for a normal formula you use Enter,
> However there is a special kind of formula called an Array formula which can
> only be entered using Ctrl+****+Enter. When doing so it will enter special
> curly brackets to indicate it is an Array formula
>
>
> --
>
> _______________________
> Naz,
> London
>
>
> "tkaplan" wrote:
>
>>
>> what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?
>>
>>
>> --
>> tkaplan
>> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
>> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550
>>
>>



  #5  
Old May 27th 05, 04:26 PM
Naz
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Sorry Ron, whats OP ?
--

_______________________
Naz,
London


"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

> For the OP
>
> See
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm
>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards Ron de Bruin
> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>
>
>
> "Naz" > wrote in message ...
> > The difference is that for a normal formula you use Enter,
> > However there is a special kind of formula called an Array formula which can
> > only be entered using Ctrl+****+Enter. When doing so it will enter special
> > curly brackets to indicate it is an Array formula
> >
> >
> > --
> >
> > _______________________
> > Naz,
> > London
> >
> >
> > "tkaplan" wrote:
> >
> >>
> >> what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?
> >>
> >>
> >> --
> >> tkaplan
> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
> >> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550
> >>
> >>

>
>
>

  #6  
Old May 27th 05, 04:44 PM
Ron de Bruin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi Naz

Original Poster

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl



"Naz" > wrote in message ...
> Sorry Ron, whats OP ?
> --
>
> _______________________
> Naz,
> London
>
>
> "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
>
>> For the OP
>>
>> See
>> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/array.htm
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Regards Ron de Bruin
>> http://www.rondebruin.nl
>>
>>
>>
>> "Naz" > wrote in message ...
>> > The difference is that for a normal formula you use Enter,
>> > However there is a special kind of formula called an Array formula which can
>> > only be entered using Ctrl+****+Enter. When doing so it will enter special
>> > curly brackets to indicate it is an Array formula
>> >
>> >
>> > --
>> >
>> > _______________________
>> > Naz,
>> > London
>> >
>> >
>> > "tkaplan" wrote:
>> >
>> >>
>> >> what is the difference btw confirming with enter and ctrl+shift+enter?
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> tkaplan
>> >> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> >> tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
>> >> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550
>> >>
>> >>

>>
>>
>>



  #7  
Old May 27th 05, 05:00 PM
MrShorty
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


enter confirms a normal formula.

ctrl+shift+enter confirms an array formula (search Excel help for array
formula and you'll find some information). Array formulae come in two
types:
1) Performs a calculation on each element of an array in the process of
acheiving the results. SUMPRODUCT is often used in this way
(=sumproduct(--(a1:a10>2),b1:b10). Because it performs the comparison
step on each element in the range, it needs to be entered as an array
formula.

2) An array formula can also return multiple values in the process of
acheiving its result. Matrix functions (MMULT, TRANSPOSE, etc) fall
into this category. Functions like LINEST and LOGEST which return two
parameters for the given curve fit.

That's a little information on array formulas. They can be useful
tools in a spreadsheet, depending on what you need to make a
spreadsheet do.


--
MrShorty
------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrShorty's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22181
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550

  #8  
Old May 27th 05, 05:10 PM
tkaplan
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


thank you.
wow i feel so stupid that i didnt know that....
i usually do all my array stuff with VB so i never tried that.
but good to know.
thanks.


--
tkaplan
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tkaplan's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22987
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=374550

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
enter data on 1 sheet and make it enter on next avail row on 2nd s Nadia Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 27 September 9th 05 03:39 PM
Need a function that separates over-lapping work shift hours. Katybug1964 Excel Worksheet Functions 0 May 24th 05 03:32 PM
ENTER ONE VALUE, RETURN ANOTHER Sarah_Lecturer Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 6 April 13th 05 10:01 PM
what should i use darryll Excel Worksheet Functions 3 March 6th 05 06:26 AM
I want to enter 346 without having to hit shift colan for the col. danlinksman Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 4th 04 02:49 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.