decimal point in general number

Old September 15th 11, 05:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Default decimal point in general number

I select a general number for cells, but it puts decimal points in th
number. If I remove the decimals, it rounds the number. How do I get
general numbers, i.e. check numbers, with decimals?
Old September 18th 11, 11:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
joeu2004[_2_]

> wrote:
> I select a general number for cells, but it puts decimal points
> in th number. If I remove the decimals, it rounds the number.
> How do I get general numbers, i.e. check numbers, with decimals?

You question is unclear.

First, when you say "general number", do you mean a cell with General
format? Or do you mean just any number?

Second, what do you mean by "check numbers"? That means "a check sequence
number" to me, which is usually an integer, not a number with decimal point
and decimal fraction. I wonder if you mean "monetary amounts" (e.g. dollars
and cents).

With the General format, Excel interprets data entry and formats it
according to undocumented rules and depending on the column width.

If you want to control the appearance of data entries, choose an appropriate
non-General format, for example Number or Currency with a specific number of
decimal places.

Nonetheless, Excel always rounds data values to fit the format. It has
nothing to do with whether or not there is a decimal point.

If the above does not help you, please provide some concrete examples.