Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to have a cell auto resize the font to make text fit in cell?

I'm using Office 2007, and I would like to know how to make the font size
automatically adjust to fit whatever I type into an individual cell.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How to have a cell auto resize the font to make text fit in cell?

Here's how to make a cell's font size automatically adjust to fit the text:
  1. Select the cell(s) you want to format.
  2. Click on the "Home" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Alignment" group.
  4. Click on the "Wrap Text" button to enable text wrapping.
  5. Click on the "Format" button in the "Alignment" group.
  6. Click on the "Autofit Row Height" option.

This will automatically adjust the row height to fit the text in the cell(s) you selected. If you want to adjust the column width as well, you can use the "Autofit Column Width" option in the same menu.

Note that this will only work if the cells are set to "Wrap Text". If you have a lot of cells to format, you can select the entire worksheet by clicking the box in the upper left corner of the worksheet (above row 1 and to the left of column A), and then following the steps above.
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the range to format
hit ctrl-1 (ctrl-one key)
Alignment tab
Click shrink to fit

(I bet that you can find the formatting option somewhere on that ribbon!)

--

Dave Peterson