How to sort names in alphabetical ascending order?

Old April 18th 10, 08:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric

Default How to sort names in alphabetical ascending order?

There is a table from cell M2 to W200, which contains names and empty cell.
I would like to retrieve the names and sort them in in alphabetical
ascending order under Z column.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in excel?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Eric
Old April 18th 10, 08:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric

N.B. how can I sort them using formula, such as large or small function

Old April 18th 10, 08:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MS-Exl-Learner

Large and Small functions only work with the Numbers and it doesn't work with
Text Characters.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

Old April 18th 10, 09:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric

Do you have any suggestions on what kind of functions work with text
characters?

Old April 18th 10, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MS-Exl-Learner

Assume that you are having the below data like the below:-

Row / Col A Column
Row1 NAME
Row2 NDF
Row3 ABC
Row4 YJK
Row5 LDF
Row6 NTK
Row7 PMR
Row8 OTF
Row9 KQY
Row10 DFT
Row11 PKR

In B2 cell paste the below formula
=COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11,"<="&$A2)
Copy the B2 cell and paste it upto B11.

In C2 cell paste the below formula
=INDEX($A$2:$A$11,MATCH(ROW()-ROW($C$1),$B$2:$B$11,FALSE))
Copy the C2 cell and paste it upto C11.

Now the data will look like the below

Row / Col A Column B Column C Column
Row1 NAME NUMBER RESULT TEXT
Row2 NDF 5 ABC
Row3 ABC 1 DFT
Row4 YJK 10 KQY
Row5 LDF 4 LDF
Row6 NTK 6 NDF
Row7 PMR 9 NTK
Row8 OTF 7 OTF
Row9 KQY 3 PKR
Row10 DFT 2 PMR
Row11 PKR 8 YJK

Hope this is what you are expecting to do…

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

Old April 18th 10, 11:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
MS-Exl-Learner

To get it in a single formula then use the below:-

Row / Col A Column
Row1 NAME
Row2 NDF
Row3 ABC
Row4 YJK
Row5 LDF
Row6 NTK
Row7 PMR
Row8 OTF
Row9 KQY
Row10 DFT
Row11 PKR

Copy and paste the below formula in B2 cell

=INDEX($A$2:$A$11,MATCH(SMALL(COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11," <"&$A$2:$A$11),ROW(1:1)),COUNTIF($A$2:$A$11,"<"&$A $2:$A$11),0))

Place the cursor in B2 cell and press F2 and give Cntrl+Shift+Enter, since
it is an array formula.

Copy the B2 cell and paste it to the remaining cells of B Column depends
upon the A column data.

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

Old April 18th 10, 03:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eric

I try it, which works if all data is under the same column, but it does not
work for table from M2 to W200. Do you have any suggestions on how to make it
work for a table?
Thank you very much for any suggestions
Eric

Old April 18th 10, 09:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Billns

On 4/18/2010 12:10 AM, Eric wrote:
> There is a table from cell M2 to W200, which contains names and empty cell.
> I would like to retrieve the names and sort them in in alphabetical
> ascending order under Z column.
> Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it in excel?
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions
> Eric

The brute force approach would be to copy and paste each column M to W
to column Z individually, then sort alphabetically in column Z. If you
don't need to retain the names in the table you could cut and paste instead.

Bill