counting identical items in a column and returning the occurrences

Old March 27th 10, 01:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ExcelWizardImNot

Default counting identical items in a column and returning the occurrences

I use excell 2000. I have one column with 700 rows. In each cell is one
number, either a 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. In the second column I have five rows,
each with one number in increasing order: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. Next to the
numbers 0-5 (in column three) I want the total number of occurances for each
number in column one. So out of the 700 rows, if the number 2 occurred 230
times, I want the number 230 to show in column 3 to correspond to the number
2 in column two. Any ideas?
Old March 27th 10, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Huber57

Try this:

In C1 (to count the zeros)

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$701,"0")

In C2 (to count the 1s):

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$701,"1")

etc.

Hope that helps. If it does, rate it has helpful at the bottom of the post.

Old March 27th 10, 02:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ExcelWizardImNot

Default counting identical items in a column and returning the occurre

That did it. Thanks much.

Old March 27th 10, 09:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן

In order to avoid the correction of each and every formula - in your private
case - I would suggest, in cell C1 to type the following formula and copy
down till C6:
=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$700,Row()-1)
Micky