Excel 2007 changes links in cells

Old March 10th 10, 09:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Milan Bortel

Default Excel 2007 changes links in cells

Hello guys,

when I enter link to TXT file in the cell (e.g.
D:\aa\ss\ko-hs-048-332-09\11ss.txt), for some reason it changes to
C:\Users\Eddie\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\ko-hs-048-332-09\11ss.txt
after some time.

It seems to me it's something like Temporary Internet Files in IE...

Any ideas how to keep the original link assuming that I haven't changed the
location of the file?

Thanks, Milan

--
Milan Bortel

MCP, MCAS, MCTS
GOPAS Computer Training Center
Brno, Czech Republic
Old March 10th 10, 10:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

A few people have said that this has stopped a similar problem from occurring.
Maybe it'll help you--but you'll have to test it to make sure.

In xl2003 menus:
File|Properties|Summary Tab|Hyperlink Base
change it to C:\
(something that's always available)

In xl2007:
Click on the Office button
Choose Prepare, then properties.
Then use the arrow on the Document Properties dropdown
Choose Advanced Properties
And then change the hyperlink base on the Summary tab.

I like to use the =hyperlink() worksheet function for this. I've never had one
of these worksheet functions change.

I'll put the path in a hidden cell (A1 in my example). (Include the trailing
backslash, too!)

Then put the filenames in A2:Axxx
Then use the =hyperlink() formula in B2:Bxx.

=hyperlink("File:////"&$a$1&a2,"Click me")
and drag down

Then when I need to change the folder, I can change it one location (A1).

I could embed the path directly in the formula:
=hyperlink("File:////c:\my documents\excel\"& a2,"Click me")
and use Edit|Replace, but that seems like more work to me.

========

If you used Insert|Hyperlink, then you've noticed that edit|replace won't touch
those hyperlink addresses.

If you used Insert|hyperlink (xl2003 menus), you'll have more work to do. But
the good news is David McRitchie has done most of it for you:

look for:
Fix Hyperlinks (#FixHyperlinks)

If you're new to macros:

Debra Dalgleish has some notes how to implement macros he
http://www.contextures.com/xlvba01.html

David McRitchie has an intro to macros:

Ron de Bruin's intro to macros:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/code.htm

(General, Regular and Standard modules all describe the same thing.)

Old April 9th 10, 10:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Milan Bortel

Hi Dave,

seems the settings you mentioned did solve the trouble.

Thanks again,

--
Milan Bortel

Old April 9th 10, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for posting back.