How do I merge two cells without deleting data from the cell?

Old May 12th 05, 04:41 PM
Batmans_Wife

Default How do I merge two cells without deleting data from the cell?

I'm highlighting two cells in the same row, hitting format cells, alignment,
merge cells and I'm getting the error message, "The selection contains
multiple data values. Merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most
data only." I want to be able to make the two seperate cells one without
deleting anything and without having to cut and paste.
Old May 12th 05, 04:58 PM
Peo Sjoblom

You can't, you can concatenate 2 cells into one by using a formula and
ampersand

=A1&" "&B1

however stay away from merging cells, always cause more problems than what
it's worth and layout wise you can get very close without using it. I have
never seen a power user using merging

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Old May 12th 05, 06:05 PM
Batmans_Wife

Thank you so much for sending me this formula. It worked perfectly and did
exactly what I needed. I really appreciate your quick, helpful response.

Sincerely,
Michelle

Old May 12th 05, 06:05 PM
JE McGimpsey

To concatenate in place, you can use a macro like the one found he

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/mergedata.html

Old May 12th 05, 06:46 PM
Batmans_Wife

Thanks for sending the link to your page with the macros and instructions.
It's very detailed and thorough. Although I was able to figure it out with
the formula that Peo posted earlier, I appreciate your further information
and will keep it handy for future use.

Sincerely,
Michelle

Old May 23rd 06, 08:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi there
But I don't want formulas on the page..
As Well I am merging cell c and d and want the info to stay in d
I will end up copying and pasting to another program

Thanks
Sandra

Old May 23rd 06, 01:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think I'd insert a new column E and put the formula there.

You could copy that range to the other program.

Or you could convert that new column E to values and delete columns C (or just
column D???).

Old April 28th 08, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Angie

The answer to my prayers! How do you convert the column into values?

Old April 28th 08, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the range to convert to values
Edit|Copy
Edit|Paste special|Values

Old April 28th 08, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

See answer at your other post.

Gord