Why did auto calculate suddenly change to manual calcu...

Old February 19th 10, 08:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pfelton

Default Why did auto calculate suddenly change to manual calcu...

Excel 2007 - Yesterday I had 2 users call with the same spreadsheet problem.
After creating a formula, they copied it down with the right click copy and
paste commands. Excel put the same number that was in the original cell in
the cells that were pasted to. The formula for each cell was correct when we
checked them but the results were not. i.e. The formulas updated correctly.
They remained the same as the original. When we changed the data cells that
the formulas referred to, nothing happened. The formula was for a basic
subtraction between 2 cells. I went to Excel Options, Formulas and Workbook
calculations was set to Manual. When I changed it to Automatic everything was
fine.
Why would this suddenly change? Both users said they didn't change it. Is
there a keystroke combination that would have changed it?
Old February 19th 10, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Be careful of what you open.

If you open a file that was saved in Manual calculation mode, that is the
mode Excel will assume that you want.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu201001

Old February 19th 10, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Luke M

This can also cause headaches going the other way when you *want* XL to open
the file in manual mode. We deal with several complex worksheets that
normally take 5+ minutes to calc, and so se save them in manual mode.

However, whenever someone forgets and opens a regular workbook up first and
then open the BIG one, they get a nice surprise...
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

Old March 9th 10, 03:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Keith H

"pfelton" wrote:

> Excel 2007 - Yesterday I had 2 users call with the same spreadsheet problem.
> After creating a formula, they copied it down with the right click copy and
> paste commands. Excel put the same number that was in the original cell in
> the cells that were pasted to. The formula for each cell was correct when we
> checked them but the results were not. i.e. The formulas updated correctly.
> They remained the same as the original. When we changed the data cells that
> the formulas referred to, nothing happened. The formula was for a basic
> subtraction between 2 cells. I went to Excel Options, Formulas and Workbook
> calculations was set to Manual. When I changed it to Automatic everything was
> fine.
> Why would this suddenly change? Both users said they didn't change it. Is
> there a keystroke combination that would have changed it?

I have experienced the same thing for years, changes on it's own for some
reason! I did not change it and it was never saved or changed to manual. Can
drive you nuts when you make a change and the answer doesn't change, that is
if you notice! I have never found an explanation.
Old March 9th 10, 03:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel picks up this setting from the first workbook it opens in that session.

So if you're in an environment where multiple people work on the same workbook
(a common network drive or even an emailed workbook file), and you open a
workbook that's been saved in manual calculation mode, you'll be in manual
calculation mode.