A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old January 6th 10, 10:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ladaigle
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one.

I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.

Tried:

1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
View tab > Normal
3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
to edit
6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
Edit % in Custom field > Click OK

It is also impossible to “make this happen”. It usually occurs randomly.

Does MS recognize this as a problem?

Ads
  #2  
Old January 6th 10, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,501
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one.

Hi,

You seem to have tried everything except considering a faulty keyboard. If a
shift key is sticking it will give this problem.

A few well aimed slaps on the back of the keyboard has been known to
dislodge dead animals etc.

Mike

"ladaigle" wrote:

> I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
> in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
> cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
> plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
> posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.
>
> Tried:
>
> 1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
> 2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
> View tab > Normal
> 3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
> 4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
> 5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
> arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
> to edit
> 6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
> then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
> 7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
> Edit % in Custom field > Click OK
>
> It is also impossible to “make this happen”. It usually occurs randomly.
>
> Does MS recognize this as a problem?
>

  #3  
Old January 19th 10, 02:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ian
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 109
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

I have also come across this problem (my keyboard is almost brand new, when I
click on a cell it is selecting that cell plus a couple above and a couple
below so 5 cells altogether.

Did a google search on it and the only tip I found that sometimes solves it
is to click in the cell very quickly. Once I've done this once the problem
seems to away for awhile but it has come back later.


"Mike H" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You seem to have tried everything except considering a faulty keyboard. If a
> shift key is sticking it will give this problem.
>
> A few well aimed slaps on the back of the keyboard has been known to
> dislodge dead animals etc.
>
> Mike
>
> "ladaigle" wrote:
>
> > I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
> > in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
> > cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
> > plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
> > posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.
> >
> > Tried:
> >
> > 1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
> > 2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
> > View tab > Normal
> > 3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
> > 4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
> > 5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
> > arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
> > to edit
> > 6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
> > then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
> > 7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
> > Edit % in Custom field > Click OK
> >
> > It is also impossible to “make this happen”. It usually occurs randomly.
> >
> > Does MS recognize this as a problem?
> >

  #4  
Old February 10th 10, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DBADave
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

Same problem here. This is an obvious bug based upon all of the other
Internet posts I have read. I've yet to find a Microsoft supported fix.
  #5  
Old February 11th 10, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,911
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one

There has been no fix to date.

Just keep changing the Zoom level.


Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:20:04 -0800, DBADave
> wrote:

>Same problem here. This is an obvious bug based upon all of the other
>Internet posts I have read. I've yet to find a Microsoft supported fix.


  #6  
Old March 3rd 10, 08:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
SusanW
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when trying to select one.

At the bottom of your Excel Sheet you may find a menu bar that starts to your
left with the word "Ready." Look to the far right on the same bar and you
will see three small icons (1 = normal; 2 = page layout; 3 = page break
view). To correct the problem, make sure that you are on "normal." Your
problem will go away. This solution is, however, spreadsheet related and not
universal for the program, so you may have to correct each spreadsheet where
the problem exists.

"ladaigle" wrote:

> I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
> in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
> cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
> plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
> posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.
>
> Tried:
>
> 1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
> 2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
> View tab > Normal
> 3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
> 4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
> 5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
> arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
> to edit
> 6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
> then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
> 7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
> Edit % in Custom field > Click OK
>
> It is also impossible to “make this happen”. It usually occurs randomly.
>
> Does MS recognize this as a problem?
>

  #7  
Old February 17th 11, 03:34 PM
pchuk815 pchuk815 is offline
Junior Member
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanW View Post
At the bottom of your Excel Sheet you may find a menu bar that starts to your
left with the word "Ready." Look to the far right on the same bar and you
will see three small icons (1 = normal; 2 = page layout; 3 = page break
view). To correct the problem, make sure that you are on "normal." Your
problem will go away. This solution is, however, spreadsheet related and not
universal for the program, so you may have to correct each spreadsheet where
the problem exists.

"ladaigle" wrote:

> I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
> in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
> cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
> plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
> posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.
>
> Tried:
>
> 1. Try tapping the wheel of scroll mouse, if applicable.
> 2. Try changing the page view from Page Layout to any other View option:
> View tab > Normal
> 3. Close the spreadsheet, open again and see if behavior still exists.
> 4. Close Excel, open the spreadsheet and see if behavior still exists.
> 5. If cell still selects multiple cells, up keyboard up/down/left/right
> arrows to navigate away and then back to cell, then click in the formula bar
> to edit
> 6. If it says EXT or Extend Selection in the bottom left corner of Excel,
> then it is in Extended mode - try tapping the F8 key once
> 7. Try zooming out then clicking the cell selection again: View tab > Zoom >
> Edit % in Custom field > Click OK
>
> It is also impossible to “make this happen”. It usually occurs randomly.
>
> Does MS recognize this as a problem?
>

I'm able to replicate this problem identically. Change page orientation to landscape, view to layout, zoom to 90% - click on any cell and it highlights multiple. Works every time.

Easiest fix is to either:

A) Change the view to either Page Break or Normal
B) Change Zoom level - I've found that you need to go atleast 3%+/- to solve it (i.e. 93% or 87%)
  #8  
Old March 3rd 11, 10:04 AM
tarquinious tarquinious is offline
Member
 
First recorded activity by ExcelBanter: Mar 2011
Posts: 31
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladaigle View Post
I have run in to an odd problem that is difficult to duplicate. When working
in excel, as you click between different cells, it randomly selects multiple
cells. For example, if I click on an individual cell it highlights that cell
plus two to the right (or two to the top/bottom). Tried several solutions
posted on the web but nothing seems to resolve the root of the problem.
I researched this some years back but can't quite remember the exact reason (it has something to do with the mini processor in the keyboard or something). Basically the keyboard gets itself all confused and thinks that the shift button is being held down. It is more prevalent when you're in Excel for some reason, but can happen in any application.

To fix it, tap each of your Shift, Ctrl and Alt buttons one at a time and it should come right.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells dkberry2 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 September 20th 09 10:59 PM
excel 2007 select multiple cells Morten Hvidberg-Knudsen Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 September 23rd 08 12:26 PM
MS Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells when selecting single cell biz_kid1 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 5 September 14th 08 06:42 PM
Microsoft Excel 2007 highlights multiple cells in Excel biz_kid1 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 August 12th 08 05:58 PM
Select multiple worksheets in Excel 2007 sjw071943 Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 July 28th 08 06:23 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.