Why doesn't excel count function update automatically?

Old January 6th 10, 01:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
nlb1

Default Why doesn't excel count function update automatically?

I have a row of data that I would like to have "total" at the end of the row
in Column "T". The formula should count all of the non-blank cells in the
range C6 thru r6. I have been using numerous variations on the
=COUNTIF(C6:R6,"*") formula or COUNTA(c6:r6), etc. etc.. All will total the
non blank cells, HOWEVER, if a cell in the range is changed (updated), the
count does not automatically update in Column "T". How can I get it do to
this.

Example:
Col 1 Col2 Col3 Col4)
Row 1 X

COUNTA(c1:c4) gives me a count of 1
If I then add and "x" in Col 4, the count remains at 1, unless I enter the
formula again.

I just want to to automatically recalculate if the data in the range is
modified.

Please and THanks.

Col 5

Old January 6th 10, 03:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko

Make sure calculation is set to automatic...

In Excel 2007:

Formulas tab>Calculation>Calculation Options>Antomatic

All other versions of Excel:

Tools>Options>Calculation tab>Automatic>OK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP