Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default excel formula won't copy down

=sum(c1-a2+b2). Just a simple formula for keeping track of cks for bank
statement. Have used it for well over a year with MSC Office Home and
Student, now it does not want to copy down and add and subtract numbers. I
even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Well, to start with you might explain to us what you are expecting the SUM
function to do in that formula. You have calculated C1-A2+B2, but you
haven't told Excel what it is that you want SUM to add to that result. Or
did you intend the formula just to be =C1-A2+B2 ? If you don't understand
what the SUM function does, look it up in Excel help.

You haven't told us what happens when you copy the formula down. Is the
cell just displaying the formula, or are all the cells showing you the
result from the first row?
If the former, check whether you've applied the option to view formulas, and
then check whether the cell is formatted as text. If formatted as text,
format as general and then re-enter the formula.
If the latter (i.e. all cells showing results from first row), check that
you've got Tools/ Options/ Calculation showing Automatic, not Manual.
--
David Biddulph

"Janet T" <Janet wrote in message
=sum(c1-a2+b2). Just a simple formula for keeping track of cks for bank
statement. Have used it for well over a year with MSC Office Home and
Student, now it does not want to copy down and add and subtract numbers.
even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What exactly do you mean by "does not want to copy down." Does Excel not
show the fill handle or does the copy/paste functions not work? Or does the
function copy but not evaluate at all, or correctly?

"Janet T" wrote:

=sum(c1-a2+b2). Just a simple formula for keeping track of cks for bank
statement. Have used it for well over a year with MSC Office Home and
Student, now it does not want to copy down and add and subtract numbers. I
even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It copies , but does not calculate the answer. I even tried typing the full
formula into each decending cell. Changed original starting amount and the
formulas did not calculate a new answer. Apparentlly the copy & paste are
not functioning. Cause when I C&P the answer stays the same as where it was
copied down from. So any help is appreciated. Janet

"Janet T" wrote:

=sum(c1-a2+b2). Just a simple formula for keeping track of cks for bank
statement. Have used it for well over a year with MSC Office Home and
Student, now it does not want to copy down and add and subtract numbers. I
even uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Help, please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

11-11-09 found my way around problem. opened a new excel copied my a&b
columns, keyed in starting $ then put my formula in for =sum(c1-a2+b2) and my
C&P plus the calculation all worked just fine. will reread the notes you
fellows gave me and check them out in my old excel. when i was working with
FRAMEWORK IV in 1985 i had to teach my self alot of short cuts to get around
problema that i really didn't have the answer. so thank for the info you
have given me. it is appreciated