How do I stop Excel from selecting more than one cell when clicked

Old October 20th 09, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
LoriDHA

Default How do I stop Excel from selecting more than one cell when clicked

Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.
Old October 20th 09, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H

Hi,

Tap F8

Mike

Old October 20th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria

You might be in the extend mode..Press function key F8 to toggle that setting.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Old October 20th 09, 05:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ms-Exl-Learner

Just press F8, It will be resolved. Unknowingly you might have pressed F8
and due to that the cursor put into Extention mode. If you press the F8
again it will be switched off OR you can use Esc also to get out of that.

If this post helps, Click Yes!
--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

Old October 20th 09, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

If using Excel 2007 and the F8 trick does not resolve the problem.

Change the Zoom level a few points up or down.

Especially if in Page Layout View

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:14:03 -0700, LoriDHA

Old January 22nd 12, 09:30 PM
tempguy999 tempguy999 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriDHA View Post
Everytime I choose one cell it selects a block of cells and I don't know why.
REVIVING ANCIENT THREAD.

I have the same problem! But what is suggested here, has not solved it.
Wherever I click, it selects the cell I clicked, and the four cells below it. Always 4 stacked cells, from the one I click, to the fourth one below it. Pressing F8 just makes me select even more cells to wherever I drag the cursor. Pressing F8 again resumes the behavior of selecting 4 cells.

Help appreciated.
Old July 29th 12, 11:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This worked for me on Excel 2010 thanks!

Old February 8th 13, 03:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eien

On Tuesday, October 20, 2009 9:31:53 PM UTC+1, Gord Dibben wrote:
> If using Excel 2007 and the F8 trick does not resolve the problem.
>
> Change the Zoom level a few points up or down.
>
> Especially if in Page Layout View
>

> Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

I had the same issue, now I know why, my cells where maybe to small for the view I had (which was 100% anyway, Microsoft should change that), just zoom it out a bit and now selects only one cell. Thanks
Old June 24th 13, 08:20 PM
Queenmom Queenmom is offline
Junior Member

No. Pressing F8 did nothing unless you are highlighting the cell, then it turns off the "extend" but just for that cell. Do I have to press F8 for each cell?? I have no clue why this is happening and it's VERY frustrating!