how do you split a cell in half? (/)

Old September 23rd 09, 12:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Tommy

Default how do you split a cell in half? (/)

I am trying to split a cell so I can enter data in both halfs of the cell. An
example would be to check a yes/no
Old September 23rd 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers

Use two cells.

You could screw around with adding a diagonal border and some extra spaces and
an alt-enter, but your life will be miserable when you try to parse that to find
out what's in the cell.

Old September 23rd 09, 12:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben

You cannot split a cell in half.

An Excel sheet has quite a few cells.

Use them.

You could get the appearance of a split cell using a diagonal border, top
alignment of text, a few Alt + Enters and some spaces to move the no to
bottom right.

But you could do nothing with the cell other than see the text.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old September 23rd 09, 02:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Don Guillett

Or you could use data validation with a list for yes, no or a checkbox from
the control menu

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

Old September 23rd 09, 09:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Ed Ferrero[_3_]

Hi Tommy,

If you want to show a Yes/No checkbox, there is a little trick that I use.

1) Format a cell as Wingdings font
2) Add borders around the cell
3) Apply the custom format "ü";;"û"
4) Use a data validation list to limit the cell values to 1 and 0 (or just
enter 1 for Yes, 0 for No).

The custom format shows a tick for all positive values, nothing for negative
values, and a cross for zeroes.
Limiting input to 1 and 0 makes it easy to use the cell in True/False
formulas.

If using Excel 2007 you can make this look even better by using conditional
formatting and the 3 symbol icon set.
In that case just use the custom format ;; (does not show numbers in the
cell), and make sure you limit the input to 0 and 1.

Ed Ferrero
www.edferrero.com