split text and numbers into separate cells

Old September 1st 09, 12:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Julie

Default split text and numbers into separate cells

Hi everyone
I have a column that has text and numbers (name and phone number) in example
Julie 01264 000000.

I need to be able to split out the telephone number into another column can
anyone help?

Thanks in advance

Julie
Old September 1st 09, 12:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria

Hi Julie

Option1: From menu Data>Text to columns>Space delimiter..

Option2: (If space between name and number) With data in cell A1; in cell B1
enter the formula
=MID(A1,FIND(CHAR(32),A1)+1,LEN(A1))

Option3: Incase you dont have space between name and phone number
Please note that this is an array formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2)
paste this formula and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If
successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly braces at both ends like
"{=<formula>}"

=MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"01234 56789")),LEN(A1))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

Old September 1st 09, 12:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jacob Skaria

A small correction

Option3 is not an array formula..Normal entered...suppose your name is
'Jacob Skaria 1234' the first two options will not work... option3 will work..

=MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9},A1&"01234 56789")),LEN(A1))

--
If this post helps click Yes
---------------

Old September 1st 09, 01:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons

Or, if it's only name and phone #,

=LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1)
Gets name

=RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-FIND(" ",A2))
Gets Number

Old September 1st 09, 02:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 04:14:02 -0700, Julie >
wrote:

>Hi everyone
>I have a column that has text and numbers (name and phone number) in example
>Julie 01264 000000.
>
>I need to be able to split out the telephone number into another column can
>anyone help?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Julie

So long as there are no digits within the name:

A1: Julie 01264 000000

Name:
=TRIM(LEFT(A1,MIN(SEARCH({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1& "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0"))-1))

Digits:
=MID(A1,MIN(SEARCH({1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0},A1&"1,2,3 ,4,5,6,7,8,9,0")),99)
--ron