Plotting multiple Y column data versus single X column in Excel 20

Old June 26th 09, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RossM

Default Plotting multiple Y column data versus single X column in Excel 20

I have data arranged as Time of day in column B and multiple Y values as
columns D, F, and G
How do I get a multiple line chart with the multiple Y values plotted versus
the single column of time values in Column B?

Thanks

RossM
Old June 27th 09, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Select the column of times, then hold ctrl while selecting the data in
column D, and while selecting the data in F and G. Create an XY chart, using
the option with markers and lines.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
http://PeltierTech.com/WordPress/
_______

Old June 27th 09, 11:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
RossM

Default Plotting multiple Y column data versus single X column in Exce

Many thanks. It worked, of course.
Now, the data is plotted from Midnight through until just after the data
stops.
The values are zero until about 5:30 AM. How do I change the horizontal
scale to plot only the nonzero data?

I clicked on Axes on the Layout tab. Then I clicked on Primary Horizontal
Axis and More Primary Horizontal Axis Options so I could enter minimum and
maximum values with "Fixed" checked. Unfortunately, I did not know how to
enter 5:45 AM and 9:00 PM in a way that the program would recognize it. It
didn't accept 5:45:00 and 11:00:00 as start and end hours and the plots
disappeared.

I then tried clicking on "Number" in the list on the left and selected a
time format, like 13:30 and then clicked back on Axis Options to return to
that menu, so I could enter the Minimum and Maximum times as 5:45 and 11:00
but it would not accept this format and defaulted back to 0.0 and 0.45 for
Max and Min. I also tried using the format shown on the menu: h:mm:ss;@ but
that didn't work either. Your additional help will be appreciated.

Oh, also, when I recieved the e-mail notice of your posting and clicked on
the link, it went to Mozilla Firefox and put the link in the proper window
but immediately said lower left "Done" with a blank window, so I had to
search on the above subject in the Discussion group. When I last did Update,
it put in a new version of Internet Explorer and after that I couldn't get IE
to work and it did bad things so I uninstalled it, so don't have that option
available.

Thanks
RossM

Old June 28th 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

In Excel 2003 and earlier, you can enter times in h:m:s format, so 5:45 and
21:00 should work.

In Excel 2007, this ability to enter times was forgotten until SP2. If you
have 2007, go to Office Update and apply this service pack.

And I have no idea how any of the web interfaces work for this forum, but I
do know the MS one is among the most awkward. If you look under "Microsoft
Newsgroups" on my blog entry
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/fin...crosoft-excel/, you will
see an alternative and more effective way to read these forums.

- Jon
-------