"user has restricted values" in lookup

Old June 16th 09, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartgal

Default "user has restricted values" in lookup

I am trying to do a lookup and I'm getting the error, "user has restricted
values that can be entered into this cell." How do I know which cell is
restricted and what I need to do to unrestrict it? I have unprotected all my
cells, etc. Also, a vlookup done here previously worked just fine so . . .
at a bit of a loss.

Thanks!
Old June 16th 09, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eduardo

Hi,
Go to Data validation, you will see there the range and the value to be
entered, usually you use it to let's say for example nobody can enter a
negative number or less than ????.

if this helps please click yes, thanks

Old June 16th 09, 05:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It sounds like the cell you're changing has data|validation applied.

You could hit
F5 (edit|goto or ctrl-g)
Special|data validation
to select all the cells with data|validation.

Then you could tab through them looking for the ones you want.

Old June 16th 09, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartgal

'Tis done, but now I don't have a validated list from which to choose . . .
so how to I make a "pick list" or a validated list from which to choose now
that my lookup is working?

Old June 16th 09, 06:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eduardo

Hi,
You create your list somewhere in your sheet, then go to Data validation,
when open the data validation window in Allow choose List then the source
window will open, highlight your list and click Ok

Old June 16th 09, 06:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartgal

Here's my situation - I have two locations, each salespersonnel assigned and
some are in both locations. What I'm trying to achieve is that, based on the
location, only the salespersons assigned to that location are eligible to be
chosen elsewhere in the spreadsheet. I had a validated list for this that
worked great until we added a second location. So now I want to validate the
sales choices based on the location. So I'm thinking if I revalidate . . .
I'll be right back where I was before I un-restricted the values. Help!

Old June 16th 09, 06:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Eduardo

Hi,
Take a look to Debra web, related to Data validation I think it will help