Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default String-in-Cell .... too long??? Word Wrap not working...PLEASE HE

I have a data extract taken from a Share Point list that has larger memo-type
data in it. I am trying to format some of this data in Excel for a report we
are creating and can't get the raw-text-data to wrap correctly in the cell.

The data has not been truncated, as all of it is in the cell...it simply
won't wrap to the next line like it should, even with the "Wrap Text"
formatting parameter activated. It looks as though the text string just
continues into the next, right-most cell and isn't completely visable.

Please advise...
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

the answer is version dependent:

2003:
Cells can contain 1024 characters in a formula
Cells can contain 32,767 text characters but only the first 1023 will be
visible (unless you use Alt Enter to force line breaks)

2007:
Cells can contain 8192 characters in formulas
Cells can contain 32,767 text characters in cells and all can be seen and
printed without needing to use Alt Enter.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Steve P" wrote:

I have a data extract taken from a Share Point list that has larger memo-type
data in it. I am trying to format some of this data in Excel for a report we
are creating and can't get the raw-text-data to wrap correctly in the cell.

The data has not been truncated, as all of it is in the cell...it simply
won't wrap to the next line like it should, even with the "Wrap Text"
formatting parameter activated. It looks as though the text string just
continues into the next, right-most cell and isn't completely visable.

Please advise...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default String-in-Cell .... too long??? Word Wrap not working...PLEAS

I have the same problem in Excel 2007 and the data in the cell is < 30
characters. I simply cannot get excel to wrap the text--and, yes, I have the
"wrap text" box checked. The only thing I've found that enables me to see
the bulk of the text is to increase the row height--which is unacceptable.

"Steve P" wrote:

I have a data extract taken from a Share Point list that has larger memo-type
data in it. I am trying to format some of this data in Excel for a report we
are creating and can't get the raw-text-data to wrap correctly in the cell.

The data has not been truncated, as all of it is in the cell...it simply
won't wrap to the next line like it should, even with the "Wrap Text"
formatting parameter activated. It looks as though the text string just
continues into the next, right-most cell and isn't completely visable.

Please advise...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried setting the row to Autofit?

Wraptext means nothing if rowheight is manually set.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP