How do I add the value in every fifth cell in a column?

Old May 12th 09, 12:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Svend

Default How do I add the value in every fifth cell in a column?

The spreadsheet has ten columns, with five rows of data. This format is
repeated x number of times, with a line break between sets. I want to add the
values in column A, row three in each set of data. As an example:
A3 + A9 + A15 + A21, etc. Is this possible in Excel 2007?
Old May 12th 09, 12:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Elkar

You could try something like this:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW(A1:A23),6)=3),A1:A23)

HTH
Elkar

Old May 12th 09, 06:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Martin Fishlock

Hi:

If your tables have constant row titles, you can use

B26=sumif($A$1:$A$23,"Row A Title",B$1:B$23)

Where "Row A Title" is the title in the row column A (you can also use A26
with the title in A26 and the data values in column B.

This can be copied over.

The advantage using the sumif is that it is more movable and rows can be
inserted.

--
Hope this helps
Martin Fishlock, www.nyfconsultants.com, Wolverhampton, UK

Old May 19th 09, 10:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Svend

I had to reformat a little but the logic of your solution was spot on. Thanks

Old May 19th 09, 10:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Svend

I could not get this solution to generate the correct answer. But that may
be because I do not understand the entry "...CT(--(M...". Thanks for your
help.