Excel Question

Default what does "," mean in an excel formula

Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

Hi
A comma is usually used for separating parts of a function.

--
Andy.

"Excel Question" <Excel wrote in message
Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

Chip Pearson

A comma is typically used to separate arguments in a function
call. Can you post an example of something specific?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Excel Question" <Excel wrote
in message
Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

JulieD

my vote is that it is a homework question ....

--
Cheers
JulieD
"Chip Pearson" wrote in message
A comma is typically used to separate arguments in a function call. Can you
post an example of something specific?

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"Excel Question" <Excel wrote in
message ...
Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

Excel Question

this is the formula: =IF(D16="","",D16)

Thank you for your help on this.

"ww" wrote:

It could mean a lot of things depending on the formula. If you give the
complete formula I'm sure someone could help you out.

"Excel Question" wrote:

Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

bj

the if function is If(criteria, response if true, response if false)
In your formula
criteria D16="" this will be true if there is nothing in D16 or if an
eqauion will give an "" response

\the if true response is that if there is nothing in D16 there wil be
nothing (almost the same as "" but that is a different question) in th ecell
where the equation is

\the if false response is that if there is something in D16, show it here.

In this case the comma is a separator for different sections of the formula.
there are other formulas where the "," could be a text section being looked
for or as a result. for example if you wanted to replace a comma with a
semicolon in some cells you could use
=substitute(a1,",",";").

"Excel Question" wrote:

Could anyone tell me what this means in an excel formula?

what does "," mean in an excel formula

bj

We need to see the formula to be able to tell you. There mare many
possibiliites.