convert decimal inches into feet and inches

Old April 22nd 09, 10:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jason Stripling

Default convert decimal inches into feet and inches

I am using the following formula to convert decimal inches into feet and
inches. The problem I have is that the formula is not reducing the fractions.
For instance, when the figure is 35.625 it converts it to 2'-11 10/16"
instead of 2'-11 5/8". I need to keep the inches in 16th's but want the
formula to reduce the fraction when needed. Any suggestions on how to make
this happen?

=INT(F5/12)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(F5,12),"# ??/16")&""""
Old April 22nd 09, 11:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'd start at David McRitchie's site
http://mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/fractex1.htm

From work done by Bernie Deitrick.

Old April 23rd 09, 02:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jason Stripling[_2_]

I actual dug a little deeper yesterday and found out how to do it. The
formula is shown below.
=INT(F5/12)&"'-"&TEXT(MOD(F5,12),"# ??/??")&""""
The only issue I have with this one is that it has extra spaces in the final
numbers when you don't have four numbers for the fraction. For instance,
2'-11 5/8" is actually 2'-11 5/8 ". It replaces the missing ?, from the
formula, with a space. This is close enough for me. If anyone knows how to
fix it though, let me know.