A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

sort column by date but keeping all rows locked



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 5th 09, 05:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?
Ads
  #2  
Old April 5th 09, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 11,059
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.

Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
follow suit.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200843


"Josh" wrote:

> Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
> corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
> There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

  #3  
Old April 5th 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Josh
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 103
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Thanks for the reply but doesn't keep all rows locked--is there some way to
lock all info in a row together?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

> Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.
>
> Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
> follow suit.
> --
> Gary''s Student - gsnu200843
>
>
> "Josh" wrote:
>
> > Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
> > corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
> > There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

  #4  
Old April 5th 09, 08:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,204
Default sort column by date but keeping all rows locked

Not sure what you mean by keeping all rows locked. The method that Gary''s
Student provided should move all rows of information as rows that are
associated with each date with the date.

To repeat what he said: select all information you want to sort, from (as in
his example) from column A to column G, choose Data | Sort and identify
column A as the column to sort by.

Now, if for some reason you want to JUST sort the dates and leave everything
else where it is, then select just the column with the dates in it and choose
Data | Sort.

You'll get a Sort Warning that there is more data next to what you selected
and it asks if you want to Expand the Selection or Continue with the Current
Selection - pick the Continue with the Current Selection option and click the
[Sort...] button.

"Josh" wrote:

> Thanks for the reply but doesn't keep all rows locked--is there some way to
> lock all info in a row together?
>
> "Gary''s Student" wrote:
>
> > Say the dates are in column A with other data in cols B thru G.
> >
> > Select ALL columns A thru G and then sort by A. The other columns will
> > follow suit.
> > --
> > Gary''s Student - gsnu200843
> >
> >
> > "Josh" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi there. Can sort a column easily (by date, number, etc.) but can't keep the
> > > corresponding rows in sync (locked) with original data item once sorted.
> > > There must be an easy way to do this but I can't figure it out. Any advice?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I sort rows keeping columns together? A123 Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 20th 08 12:33 AM
keeping rows together during column sorts of linked worksheets judie Excel Worksheet Functions 1 April 1st 07 07:52 PM
How can I insert and delete rows within a locked cell range column Gordon Cole Excel Worksheet Functions 0 October 1st 06 11:30 AM
I locked up my column and rows they are highlighted Michael C. Marshall Excel Worksheet Functions 3 June 28th 06 10:18 PM
keeping rows intact during sort Jim Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 November 25th 05 01:59 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.