Formula to calulate the weighted average

Old April 1st 09, 12:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jrf

Default Formula to calulate the weighted average

I need some help on a spreadsheet I am working on. I am suppose to use
absolute cell references to calculate the overall total for four exams by
using the four weights found in a different cell range. As follows:

Exam 1 weight 20% cell C/8
Exam 2 weight 20% cell C/9
Exam 3 weight 20% cell C/10
Final Exam weight40% cell C/11

Cell B/17 Cell C/17 Cell D/17 Cell E/17
Cell F/17
Student I exam I 84.0 exam 2 80.0 exam 3 83.0 exam final exam 72.0 overall
total

It states in Cell F17 enter a formula to calculate the weigted average of
the first student's four exams. Use the weights found in the range C8:C11,
matching each weight with the corresponding exam score. Use absolute cell
references for the four weights....

HELP!!! I have no clue what to do here

Old April 1st 09, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dhstein

=C8*B17+C9*C17+C10*D17+C11*E17

Old April 1st 09, 01:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I _think_ your instructor wants this formula in F17:

=$c$8*b17 + $c$9*c17 + $c$10*d17 + $c$11*d18

The $'s means that these cells won't change if you copy the formula to other
cells--like in F18, F19, ..., F9999.

Another formula that may get you into trouble:

=SUMPRODUCT($C$8:$C$11,TRANSPOSE(B17:E17))

them yourself.)

Old April 1st 09, 02:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jrf

Thanks so much! That did it for me..How do you copy that format without it
changing the first position to the next such as:
=C9*B17+C10*C17+C11*D17+C12*E17 this is what I get when I try to auto fill..

Old April 1st 09, 05:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max

Dave, just curious about your comment line:
> Another formula that may get you into trouble:
> =SUMPRODUCT($C$8:$C$11,TRANSPOSE(B17:E17))

Since it works, why would it get the OP into trouble?
--
Max
Singapore