Using Symbols in Drop Down Lists

Old April 19th 05, 11:44 AM
Sumeet Benawra

Default Using Symbols in Drop Down Lists

Can anyone help me with this simple problem? I would like to create a drop
down list with a "tick" mark and a "x" mark as the available values. These
are symbols from the wingdings font available from insert->symbols menu.

When I originally created the reference cells with the symbols to use as my
source for the drop down list, the symbols appear as characters such as "û"
or "ü" in the actual cell that I implemented as my list box. I tried to then
adjust my list box settings in the data->validation menu by typing in the
actual character code for the symbol in the source box; For example, by
pressing alt+252 which is the character code for the tick mark that I want to
use. This still did not show the tick mark.

Is there any functionality within Excel that would allow me to use symbols
for a drop down list?
Old April 19th 05, 12:58 PM
Debra Dalgleish

The data validation dropdown uses the Tahoma font, which doesn't have a
check mark character. You could a combo box from the control toolbox,
and change its font.

If you can use programming, you can use a combo box to display the data
validation list, as shown he

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List