Average of dates of birth

Old January 31st 09, 12:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Greg

Default Average of dates of birth

I am trying to determine the average age of 155 people from their 155 dates
of birth. How do I do it?
tks,
jgn
Old January 31st 09, 12:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sheeloo[_3_]

If you have the dates in A1:A155 then this will give you the average age on
today's date

=TODAY()-AVERAGE(A1:A155)

Old January 31st 09, 12:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartin

Greg wrote:
> I am trying to determine the average age of 155 people from their 155 dates
> of birth. How do I do it?
> tks,
> jgn

Suppose the birthdates are in A1:A155. The average birthdate is simply

=AVERAGE(A1:A155)

The average age (in days) is

=TODAY()-AVERAGE(A1:A155)

A reasonable proxy for average age in years is

=(TODAY()-AVERAGE(A1:A155))/365.25
Old January 31st 09, 01:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John[_22_]

Hi Greg
Say you have date of Birth : 1-Jan-60 in cell A1,:
=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"y") result 49
=DATEDIF(A1,TODAY(),"m") result 588 (months) and you could have it in days
if you like. you need to use a column and drag down one of these formula,
then use Average(range)
HTH
John

Old January 31st 09, 01:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John[_22_]

Nice,I just learned something.
John

Old January 31st 09, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
David Biddulph[_2_]

Another option if you want the average age in whole years is
=DATEDIF(AVERAGE(A1:A155),TODAY(),"y")
--
David Biddulph

Old January 31st 09, 07:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Chris Bode via OfficeKB.com

In excel, the age can be computer by subtracting the birth date of a person
from today’s date. Note that
NOW() function returns current date and time
AVERAGE() function yields the average
So you should follow following steps to obtain the result:-
1.In any column A enter name and in B, enter the date of birth (suppose you
have entered records from B1 to B20)
2.Select any other cell (say C1)
3.Enter following formula
=NOW()-AVERAGE(B1:B20)

Now you are done !

Have a nice time………

Chris
------
Convert your Excel spreadsheet into an online calculator.
http://www.spreadsheetconverter.com