How to convert comma to dot

Old January 19th 09, 01:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Olinia

Default How to convert comma to dot

How to convert comma to dot for data?
Old January 19th 09, 01:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons

Assuming you want to change the decimal separator? If so, go to Tools -
Options - International tab, Uncheck Use System separators and change!

Old January 19th 09, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Olinia

I am using Excel 2007. Sorry for stupid question, where is Tool. It was so
obvious for me with Exxel 2003, uh.

Old January 19th 09, 02:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

If you are importing the data you could temporarily change your Regional
Settings (or Excel Option) to have decimal separator as comma, import the
data and then reset the decimal separator to period.

If it is too late for this:
Let the number be in A1
In B1 extract the integer part with: =--MID(A1,1,FIND(",",A1)-1)
in C1 find the fractional part with: =--MID(A1,FIND(",",A1)+1,256)
Note that the double negation converts text to number
Combine the two in D1 with: =B1+C1/10^LEN(C1)

If you wish you can then copy the value in D1 and use Paste Special with
Values specified to turn the formula into a number. This lets you delete the
B and C stuff

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

Old January 19th 09, 02:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bernard Liengme

Click the Office icon (colourful circle to the left on Ribbon)
Click Excel Options (bottom of Office dialog)
Click Advanced in the left side of Options dialog
Look at last item in the "Editing Options" group; this is where you set the
thousands and decimal separators
best wishes