Auto-sort worksheet by date in column A

Old January 14th 09, 09:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
avshook

Default Auto-sort worksheet by date in column A

I would like to have my worksheet sort itself chronologically by date when I
enter a new date in column A. The dates will be entered in a random order on
the next available row and I would like the rows to automatically re-order
themselves when a new date is entered to be in chronological order, oldest to
newest, by the date in column A.
The concept is simple, is there a simple solution?
Old January 14th 09, 09:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gary''s Student

Put the following event macro in the worksheet code area:

Set t = Target
Set a = Range("A:A")
If Intersect(t, a) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
Cells.Sort Key1:=Range("A1"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlNo
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200826

Old January 14th 09, 10:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
avshook

Thanks Gary's student! that works great! except that my headers in row 1
also get moved, and freezing the top row doesn't seem to keep it there. Can
I make it start at row 2?

Old January 15th 09, 01:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Gord Dibben

Change Header:=xlNo to Header:=xlYes

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 13:09:20 -0800, avshook