Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I assign a numeric value to a letter

I am creating a work schedule and I need to asign letters to the different
shifts (start and end times) I also have to asign a numeric value to the
letter to denote the duration of the shift in hours. ie
Shift A 2300 -0800 = 9 hours therefore A=9
Shift A1 0200-0800 = 6 hours therefore A1=6
At the end of the schedule i should be able to sum up how many total hours
were worked per month, how many hours each shift worked per month.....
Thank You
GB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just set up a two-column table somewhere on your sheet (eg in columns
X and Y) like this:

A 9
A1 6
etc.

then if you have your shift code in cell A1, you can use this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A1,X:Y,2,0)

to get the appropriate number.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 28, 9:33*am, IASG <IASG @discussions.microsoft.com wrote:
I am creating a work schedule and I need to asign letters to the different
shifts (start and end times) I also have to asign a numeric value to the
letter to denote the duration of the shift in hours. ie
Shift A * 2300 -0800 = 9 hours therefore *A=9
Shift A1 0200-0800 = 6 hours therefore A1=6
At the end of the schedule i should be able to sum up how many total hours *
were worked per month, how many hours each shift worked per month.....
Thank You
GB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You would probably need to create a UDF to reference the letters in
formulae.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,