How do I assign a numeric value to a letter

Old November 28th 08, 09:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
IASG

Default How do I assign a numeric value to a letter

I am creating a work schedule and I need to asign letters to the different
shifts (start and end times) I also have to asign a numeric value to the
letter to denote the duration of the shift in hours. ie
Shift A 2300 -0800 = 9 hours therefore A=9
Shift A1 0200-0800 = 6 hours therefore A1=6
At the end of the schedule i should be able to sum up how many total hours
were worked per month, how many hours each shift worked per month.....
Thank You
GB
Old November 28th 08, 10:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK

Just set up a two-column table somewhere on your sheet (eg in columns
X and Y) like this:

A 9
A1 6
etc.

then if you have your shift code in cell A1, you can use this formula:

=VLOOKUP(A1,X:Y,2,0)

to get the appropriate number.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Old November 28th 08, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Simon Lloyd[_22_]

You would probably need to create a UDF to reference the letters in
formulae.

--
Simon Lloyd

Regards,