How to calculate with workingdays instead of calendar days

Old November 17th 08, 02:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Fool on the Hill

Default How to calculate with workingdays instead of calendar days

Dear excel(lent) users,

I have a sheet in which I calculate with days.

I want to know how to calculate with working days.

For instance if you take today 17th of november and you add 6 workingdays,
you would calculate it to be 24th of november instead of 22nd of november
with calendar calculation.

Can someone help me with the following:
If I have a certain date what date would I get if I add up 5 working days
(weekend not being a working day)?

Please be so kind as to assist me with this?
Old November 17th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_]

Take a look at WORKDAYS function. Ensure your Analysis ToolPak Add-in is
installed.
=WORKDAY(startdate,days,holidays)
Holidays is an optional argument. If you have a list of all the holidays,
and you refer to the list of holidays here, it will also not count holidays
as workdays.
--
** John C **

Old November 17th 08, 02:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_]

Use the Workday function, as in:

=workday(a1,6)

Regards,
Fred.

"The Fool on the Hill" > wrote in
message ...

Old November 17th 08, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
The Fool on the Hill

Thanks super answer.

I see it starts counting on the today+1 instead including today, but I can
work around that.

I am a happy chappy !

Thankx !

Old November 18th 08, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_]

Actually, not to be too technical, but if you add 6 working days to Nov 17,
you come up with Nov 26. No mathematics I know of exists where if you say you
have a certain number, add another number, that you count 1 of the second
number as the top end of the first number and then add the remainder. Ex:
If I have 4, then add 6, the answer is 10. In your counting, you have 4, you
add 6, you come up with 9, because you are counting the 1st of the 6 number
as the 4th of the 4 number, when in fact it should be considered as 0th of 6.

That being said, I understand what you are trying to accomplish, and thank
you for the feedback.
--
** John C **