adding a zero in front of number

Old April 7th 05, 08:03 PM
Pinky

Default adding a zero in front of number

how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers and
most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example 095421
when I enter shows 95421. help.
Old April 7th 05, 08:21 PM
Arvi Laanemets

Hi

When the number must remain numeric data, then format the cell as Custom
"00000" (the number of 0's determines to which length is the entry padded).

When you want the number to be converted to string, then use the formula (in
my example the original number resides in cell A1)
=TEXT(A1,"00000")
(again, the number of 0's in format string determines the length of padding)

Arvi Laanemets

Old April 7th 05, 08:27 PM
SUNIL S GAWDE \(INDIA\)

You will have to custom format the cells in question
as "00" or "000" or "0000" etc depending on number of
leading Zeros you wish to put. The 1 will show as 01 or
001 or 0001 etc resp.
Select the cells in question. Go to Format-Cells-Number-
Custom. Then type 00 or 000 or 0000 etc in the Type: box
to the right side.
Hope this helps you. You can reach me at
for more assistance.

Old April 7th 05, 09:05 PM
Fredrik Wahlgren

"Pinky" > wrote in message
> how do you add a zero in front of other numbers, I am using item numbers

and
> most start with zero, just shows whole numbers when I enter. example

095421
> when I enter shows 95421. help.

Enter the number as '095421 with a leading apostrophe.

/Fredrik