A Microsoft Excel forum. ExcelBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » ExcelBanter forum » Excel Newsgroups » Excel Discussion (Misc queries)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Formula to change Phone Number format



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 10th 08, 09:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
pete5440
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
format affect how the formula runs?
Ads
  #2  
Old October 10th 08, 09:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,696
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

Highlight column.. format Cells..

Custom

000-000-0000

Course, if you use Special, there is one for phone number that uses (201)
instead, so your choice.


"pete5440" wrote:

> I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> format affect how the formula runs?

  #3  
Old October 10th 08, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,317
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

Insert a helper column and enter the following formula, replacing cell A1 in
the example with the first cell containing your phone numbers:

=LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Copy down the help column.

Copy all the formulas in the helper column and move the cell pointer to the
first cell containing your original phone numbers. Right click on the cell,
select PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click the OK command
button to return to the worksheet.

Delete the helper column when done.
--
Kevin Backmann


"pete5440" wrote:

> I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> format affect how the formula runs?

  #4  
Old October 10th 08, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,358
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

Did you catch the part where the OP said some numbers are already formatted
as xxx-xxx-xxxx?
--
John C


"Kevin B" wrote:

> Insert a helper column and enter the following formula, replacing cell A1 in
> the example with the first cell containing your phone numbers:
>
> =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)
>
> Copy down the help column.
>
> Copy all the formulas in the helper column and move the cell pointer to the
> first cell containing your original phone numbers. Right click on the cell,
> select PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click the OK command
> button to return to the worksheet.
>
> Delete the helper column when done.
> --
> Kevin Backmann
>
>
> "pete5440" wrote:
>
> > I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> > 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> > by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> > formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> > format affect how the formula runs?

  #5  
Old October 10th 08, 10:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Sean Timmons
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,696
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

And oh, having -'s in some wouldn't make a difference unless they aren't set
the same as your desired cells. If so, just do a Find - then Replace with
nothing

"Sean Timmons" wrote:

> Highlight column.. format Cells..
>
> Custom
>
> 000-000-0000
>
> Course, if you use Special, there is one for phone number that uses (201)
> instead, so your choice.
>
>
> "pete5440" wrote:
>
> > I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> > 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> > by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> > formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> > format affect how the formula runs?

  #6  
Old October 10th 08, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Kevin B
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,317
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

The format modifies the appearance and I took it to mean that he wanted to
convert the current values to include the "-" at position 4 & 8. Otherwise
you can just use a format mask of ###-###-#### if all you want to do is
change the way the numbers appear.

I interpreted the question to mean a conversion and not a format change.

Thanks...
--
Kevin Backmann


"John C" wrote:

> Did you catch the part where the OP said some numbers are already formatted
> as xxx-xxx-xxxx?
> --
> John C
>
>
> "Kevin B" wrote:
>
> > Insert a helper column and enter the following formula, replacing cell A1 in
> > the example with the first cell containing your phone numbers:
> >
> > =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)
> >
> > Copy down the help column.
> >
> > Copy all the formulas in the helper column and move the cell pointer to the
> > first cell containing your original phone numbers. Right click on the cell,
> > select PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click the OK command
> > button to return to the worksheet.
> >
> > Delete the helper column when done.
> > --
> > Kevin Backmann
> >
> >
> > "pete5440" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> > > 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> > > by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> > > formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> > > format affect how the formula runs?

  #7  
Old October 13th 08, 01:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,358
Default Formula to change Phone Number format

You misunderstand. I agree with your formula, but you don't check if the cell
is already in the format of 123-456-7890. Your formula is:
=LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)
which would convert the above formula to:
123--45-7890
Assuming the OP only has 2 possibilities in the column, 1234567890 and
123-456-7890, I would modify your formula thusly:
=IF(LEN(A1)<>10,A1,LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4))
--
John C


"Kevin B" wrote:

> The format modifies the appearance and I took it to mean that he wanted to
> convert the current values to include the "-" at position 4 & 8. Otherwise
> you can just use a format mask of ###-###-#### if all you want to do is
> change the way the numbers appear.
>
> I interpreted the question to mean a conversion and not a format change.
>
> Thanks...
> --
> Kevin Backmann
>
>
> "John C" wrote:
>
> > Did you catch the part where the OP said some numbers are already formatted
> > as xxx-xxx-xxxx?
> > --
> > John C
> >
> >
> > "Kevin B" wrote:
> >
> > > Insert a helper column and enter the following formula, replacing cell A1 in
> > > the example with the first cell containing your phone numbers:
> > >
> > > =LEFT(A1,3)&"-"&MID(A1,4,3)&"-"&RIGHT(A1,4)
> > >
> > > Copy down the help column.
> > >
> > > Copy all the formulas in the helper column and move the cell pointer to the
> > > first cell containing your original phone numbers. Right click on the cell,
> > > select PASTE SPECIAL, click the VALUES option button and click the OK command
> > > button to return to the worksheet.
> > >
> > > Delete the helper column when done.
> > > --
> > > Kevin Backmann
> > >
> > >
> > > "pete5440" wrote:
> > >
> > > > I have a large list of 10 digit phone numbers currently formatted as
> > > > 1234567890. I would like to change them so area code and prefix is separated
> > > > by hyphen 123-456-7890. Is there a relatively simple way to do this with a
> > > > formula? Would having some of the numbers already changed to my desired
> > > > format affect how the formula runs?

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
phone number format [email protected] Excel Worksheet Functions 2 January 21st 08 11:40 AM
phone number format Omar Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 January 21st 08 11:20 AM
Format change of phone number helpjim Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 7 May 18th 06 07:34 PM
how do I add phone number format as a permanent custom format? frustratedagain Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 February 4th 06 04:52 AM
change format for phone numbers automatically vms Excel Worksheet Functions 2 June 14th 05 11:08 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2014 ExcelBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.